Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Alexander Schatten <al...@gmx.at> on 2006/08/31 20:45:36 UTC

Test - Database

Maybe someone has an idea: as I am in the education and reseach field, I
often need test-data to demonstrate specific things like O/R mapping, ER
tools, ...

Or I want to add some examples for an article and stuff. It is typically
quite difficult to get test-databases for such a purpose. I obviously do
not want to put some "real"/operational data from one of my projects
into some example for download. on the other hand, it is some work to
get a serious amount of data that is not complete nonsense.

Has someone an idea, if I can find such test-data for Derby? I actually
need it for introductionary material and articles.

thank you very much

Alex

Re: Test - Database

Posted by Alexander Schatten <al...@gmx.at>.
thank you very much, that is helpful!

Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Alexander Schatten wrote:
>
>> Maybe someone has an idea: as I am in the education and reseach field, I
>> often need test-data to demonstrate specific things like O/R mapping, ER
>> tools, ...
>>
>> Or I want to add some examples for an article and stuff. It is typically
>> quite difficult to get test-databases for such a purpose. I obviously do
>> not want to put some "real"/operational data from one of my projects
>> into some example for download. on the other hand, it is some work to
>> get a serious amount of data that is not complete nonsense.
>>
>> Has someone an idea, if I can find such test-data for Derby? I actually
>> need it for introductionary material and articles.
>>

> The upcoming Derby 10.2 bin release includes a "toursdb" demo database
> that might help. You can download a snapshot from here:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoRelease
>
> Be sure to download one of db-derby-10.2.1.1-bin distributions (the demo
> database isn't included in the lib distribution). After extracting the
> distribution, toursdb is in db-derby-10.2.1.1-bin/demo/databases .
>
> regards,
>
>  -jean

RE: Test - Database

Posted by de...@segel.com.
Hey!
What about recycling the old Informix sales database demo?
I'm sure you can talk them in to making the data "open source". ;-)

Re: Test - Database

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: Test - Database

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Alex,

> Has someone an idea, if I can find such test-data for Derby? I
> actually need it for introductionary material and articles.

How about US Zip code data.

Stephen

Re: Test - Database

Posted by Paul J DeCoursey <pa...@decoursey.net>.