Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Kim <xm...@yahoo.ca> on 2002/08/22 21:47:19 UTC

difference between WINDOWS and LINUX ? :outgoing!!!!!!

Hi all,

I transferred james from Windows to Linux after
testing. But outgoing was not working any more on
Linx. So far, it works well on Windows.I have not
modified config.xml before.

I have no idea, but I got the difference between
online logs.

<<RemoteDelivery.java>>
private boolean deliver(Ma... mail, Se... session) {
        try {	....

            //Figure out which servers to try to
            //     send   to.  This collection
            // will hold all the possible target
            //    servers
            Collection targetServers = null;
            if (gatewayServer == null) {
                MailAddress rcpt =
            (MailAddress)
recipients.iterator().next();
                String host = rcpt.getHost();
                System.out.println("rmDlivry:"
                                     + host);//****A

                //Lookup the possible targets
                targetServers =
             getMailetContext().getMailServers(host);
                System.out.println(
                    "rmDlivry:tserver.size"
                    + targetServers.size());//****B

                if (targetServers.size() == 0) {
                    log("No mail server found for: "
                         + host);
                    return failMessage(mail,
                        new MessagingException(
	"There are no DNS entries for the hostname "
        +host + ".  I cannot determine where
                    to send this message."),
                    	false );
                }

<< difference between WINDOWS and LINUX >>
on WINDOWS
****A: rmDlivry:wirelessunix.com
****B: rmDlivry:tserver.size      1

on LINUX
****A: rmDlivry:wirelessunix.com
****B: rmDlivry:tserver.size      0

What happend to me?

Please, help me. What should I do?
Thanks,

David

RE: difference between WINDOWS and LINUX ? :outgoing!!!!!!

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
looks like your linux machine isn't looking up the DNS properly.

I suggest you check what DNS servers you have configured in James, and
whether they are reachable and working from this machine.
James is normally very tolerant of being moved, fully configured, from
windows to linux and back again.
d.

RE: Losing inbox messages after rebooting?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Mike, "leav on server" tels your mail client not to delete,

..POP3 works like this
connect to server->
authenticate->
get a list of available messages->
retrieve any from the list (or all)->
mark any for deletion->
quit *quit actions deletes* terminating connections without quit cases
delete flags to be reset.

So.. what might be happening is that your mail client is downloading
messages, but not deleting them, then you go back, it won't download any it
has already seen, but it *will* delete them without you even knowing that it
is.

d.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I'm using James 2.0a2 with file based repository.
> Would switching to a database resolve this?

Switching to more recent version of James might resolve it ...

	--- Noel

Losing inbox messages after rebooting?