Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Yihao Chen <Su...@outlook.com> on 2022/09/17 04:14:10 UTC

Hacktoberfest is here

Dear community,

Hacktoberfest is a month-long event that runs each year to encourage people contributing to open source in October. This year I propose the SkyWalking community to participate in the event on the maintainers side.

There’s no requirement for setting months-long tasks like OSPP or GSOC, simply come up with some good first issues and be ready to review pull requests and help new contributors. We need to set a new topic for our repo (main repo should be enough), and add an issues label `hacktoberfest` to be qualified as a participating community.

Please raise any concerns or questions in this email thread to discuss.

Below are copied from the Hacktoberfest website:
https://hacktoberfest.com/participation/#maintainers

Prepare your project for contributions by following these best practices:

[TODO] Add the “hacktoberfest” topic to your repository to OPT-IN TO HACKTOBERFEST and indicate you’re looking for contributions.

[TODO] Apply the “hacktoberfest” label to issues you want contributors to help with in your GitHub or GitLab project.

Add a CONTRIBUTING.md file with contribution guidelines to your repository.

Choose issues that have a well-defined scope and are self-contained.

Adopt a code of conduct to create a greater sense of inclusion and community for contributors.

Be ready to review pull/merge requests, accepting those that are valid by merging them, leaving an overall approving review, or by adding the “hacktoberfest-accepted” label.

Reject any spammy requests you receive by labeling them as “spam,” and any other invalid contributions by closing them or labeling them as “invalid.”

Kind regards,
Yihao Chen (Superskyyy)
yihaochen@apache.org

Re: Hacktoberfest is here

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> A dumb question: is editing the `.asf.yaml` labels the correct way to add
a `hacktoberfest` label?

Usually, we use .asf.yaml to configure GitHub settings, including labels
shown in the repo profile page.

> As these TODOs are good for new contributors, even not code level ideas,
how about we use discussions panel(idea catalog, hacktoberfest label)
rather than issues?

If I'm correct, the label here means adding a label on the GitHub
Discussion page. May need maintainers' help 🤔

Yihao Chen <Su...@outlook.com> 于2022年9月18日周日 08:04写道:

RE: Hacktoberfest is here

Posted by Yihao Chen <Su...@outlook.com>.

Re: Hacktoberfest is here