Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Dunne <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2007/12/18 13:28:04 UTC

apache and tomcat

Can someone please explain the fundamental difference between Httpd and Tomcat?  I installed Tomcat 6, but it doesn't seem to be liking PHP a whole lot.  Do I need to un-install Tomcat 6 and install Apache 2 on its own? Just a bit confused as I am trying to get Apache and PHP5 working together.

Any words of wisdom?
Thanks,

Richard

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Re: apache and tomcat

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
You're right -- Apache Tomcat doesn't handle PHP especially well.  It's
designed to handle and execute code in java web applications built to
the servlet spec very well though.

Think of Apache Httpd as a general web server -- it serves content very
well and with the right modules can hand off some requests to
interpreters like PHP and Perl.  Apache Tomcat on the other hand
specializes in providing a container and API for handling Java web
applications -- which Apache Httpd doesn't do at all.  As such, Tomcat
Httpd can hand off requests for PHP and Perl to their interpreters but
not nearly as well as Apache Httpd.

They can coincide on the same system as long as they are on different
ports.  If you want Apache Httpd to server content generated in Tomcat,
you can use either mod_jk or Apache Httpd's reverse proxy

--David

Re: apache and tomcat

Posted by AbelMacAdam <ab...@gmail.com>.

Richard Dunne wrote:

> Can someone please explain the fundamental difference between Httpd and
> Tomcat?  I installed Tomcat 6, but it doesn't seem to be liking PHP a
> whole lot.  Do I need to un-install Tomcat 6 and install Apache 2 on its
> own? Just a bit confused as I am trying to get Apache and PHP5 working
> together.
>
> Any words of wisdom?
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

Hi Richard,

Tomcat is a Servlet container, where user input is processed by Java
objects. You could say PHP is a competitor of Java. Both reside besides each
other on Apache. Java in Tomcat, and PHP directly in Apache.

Hope this helps,
Abel

RE: apache and tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Martin Gainty [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Re: apache and tomcat
>
> After resolving that..Take a look at installing mod_jk
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-3.3-doc/mod_jk-howto.html

Please don't look at documentation for a version of Tomcat that's over
five years old.  The current connector docs are here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: apache and tomcat

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Abel

After resolving that..Take a look at installing mod_jk
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-3.3-doc/mod_jk-howto.html

Martin--
Posted by AbelMacAdam <ab...@gmail.com>.