Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2016/08/19 22:02:07 UTC

[PROPOSAL] General Availability of ApacheOpenOffice 4.1.2-patch1 Hotfixes

[BCC PMC, FYI QA]

At this time, the preparation and dev@/qa@ confirmation of the AOO 4.1.2-patch1 Hotfixes has quieted.

I propose that the current binaries be placed into general availability.  I am initiating lazy consensus to end not before Tuesday, 2016-08-23T22:00Z.

MATERIALS TO BE AVAILABLE

 * The file hotfix.html at
   <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/>
   will be made available at
   <https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/>

 * The directory folder
   <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/binaries/>
   will be made available as a subdirectory of
   <https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/>.

ANNOUNCEMENT OF AVAILABILITY

  * The CVE-2016-1513 advisory,
    <http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2016-1513.html>,
    will be reissued to include availability of the hotfix and
    refer users to the hotfix.html page in the archive 4.1.2-patch1
    location.

  * There will be an accompanying announcement on dev@, users@,
    and in the two bugzilla issues related to the defect that the
    hotfix applies to.

WHAT TO REVIEW

You can find everything to be made available by starting with the hotfix.html page at
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/hotfix.html>.

IGNORE the Source column.  The source release has already occurred, and those links will not be valid until deployment of hotfix.html to the archive location.

The README files are the next materials to examine.  There you can learn more about the hotfix for each of the four platforms: Windows, MacOSX, Linux32, and Linux64.  Follow any of the procedures that you want to verify.

 - Dennis

Re: [PROPOSAL] General Availability of ApacheOpenOffice 4.1.2-patch1 Hotfixes

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Marcus wrote:
> I hope that this is just a silent consensus as I haven't seen a single
> comment to this. ;-)

+1 from me. Tested README and process for Linux64, verified all
hashes/signatures.

> SUB-PROPOSAL:
> Go online with the English-based hotfix (especially Readme's and Windows
> .bat files) and do not wait for the localizations that could be finished
> in the next days (weeks?). Bring them online when they got ready.

Sure. It already took quite long to do this last step from availability
of binaries (which were ready one month ago) to approval and
publication. If we also need to wait for localizations then we may
conclude that it would have been faster to go for a full release.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [PROPOSAL] General Availability of ApacheOpenOffice 4.1.2-patch1 Hotfixes

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
I hope that this is just a silent consensus as I haven't seen a single
comment to this. ;-)

SUB-PROPOSAL:
Go online with the English-based hotfix (especially Readme's and Windows
.bat files) and do not wait for the localizations that could be finished
in the next days (weeks?). Bring them online when they got ready.

Marcus

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

The design of the site https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/hotfix.html is very confusing.

By this I mean the current labeling of table headers and the first column, are in the 2 tables reversed.

Can we use a uniform table:

Operating System | Language            | Instructions | Download | Signature | Digital Hashes
MS Windows       | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...       |
                 | Nederland (nl) Dutch| ...          | ...      | ...       |
                 | Germany (de) German | ...          | ...      | ...       |
MacOS X          | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...       |
Linux 32-bit     | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...       |
Linux 64-bit     | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...       |

I wanted to make the change itself, but I can not access the CMS, I do not know why.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: [PROPOSAL] General Availability of ApacheOpenOffice 4.1.2-patch1 Hotfixes

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[orcmid]

+1 on both

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Marcus [mailto:marcus.mail@wtnet.de]

> with more language than now the link becomes longer and
> longer which is
> also not the best thing.
>
> I don't think that it's really necessary to show all languages in the
> link. A link text like "Download for all languages" should do
> the trick,
> too.

yes, thats right

Jörg

Re: [PROPOSAL] General Availability of ApacheOpenOffice 4.1.2-patch1 Hotfixes

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]

> Yes, now I understand.
>
> Is it better now?

_imho_ yes.

Jörg

RE: [PROPOSAL] General Availability of ApacheOpenOffice 4.1.2-patch1 Hotfixes

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[ ... ]

> Sorry, but that's not the problem what I mean.
>
> There are currently 2 tables that have a different layout because rows
> and columns are swapped, _this is confusing for the user_.
>
> Not, however, there must be one table, it can also be 2, but with
> _unique_ layout.
>
> Have a look on this:
> http://calc-info.de/files/illustration.gif
>

> You understand now what I mean?
[orcmid]

Yes, now I understand.

Is it better now?

<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/hotfix.html>.

Thanks for the clear example.

 - Dennis

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[ ... ]
> The design of the site
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-
> patch1/hotfix.html is very confusing.
>
> By this I mean the current labeling of table headers and the first
> column, are in the 2 tables reversed.
>
> Can we use a uniform table:
>
> Operating System | Language            | Instructions | Download |
> Signature | Digital Hashes
> MS Windows       | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...
> |
>                  | Nederland (nl) Dutch| ...          | ...      | ...
> |
>                  | Germany (de) German | ...          | ...      | ...
> |
> MacOS X          | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...
> |
> Linux 32-bit     | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...
> |
> Linux 64-bit     | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...

[orcmid]

This will not work.  Only for Windows does each language have a separate .zip.

For MacOSX and the Linux packages, there are multiple README files but only one .zip per platform. (All versions of the README are in the single Zip.)

The difference is that each Windows Zip contains localized scripts in the same language as the README.
There are no localized scripts for the other platforms.

See how that looks now at
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/hotfix.html>.

> I wanted to make the changes itself, but I can not access the CMS, I do
> not know why.
[orcmid]

I am not certain what you were attempting to do.  The dev area is not under the CMS.  It is not part of the web site.

In any case, please don't change hotfix.html.  It is already being updated for the localizations that are now available.

All of your suggestions are valuable.  Thank you for pointing this out.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[ ... ]
> The design of the site
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-
> patch1/hotfix.html is very confusing.
>
> By this I mean the current labeling of table headers and the first
> column, are in the 2 tables reversed.
>
> Can we use a uniform table:
>
> Operating System | Language            | Instructions | Download |
> Signature | Digital Hashes
> MS Windows       | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...
> |
>                  | Nederland (nl) Dutch| ...          | ...      | ...
> |
>                  | Germany (de) German | ...          | ...      | ...
> |
> MacOS X          | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...
> |
> Linux 32-bit     | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...
> |
> Linux 64-bit     | English (en-US)     | ...          | ...      | ...

[orcmid]

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 08/23/2016 08:08 PM, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> [BCC PMC, FYI QA and L10N]
>
> There have been no comments concerning the placement of the current materials into general distribution.
>
> In addition, there is a set of Dutch (Nederland) language that also passes all tests and has been carefully proof-read.  These have been added to the directory folder.  (They are not reflected in the hotfix.html so far.)

I would prefer to have an own webpage for all languages. Otherwise we
will have a hugh webpage for a little patch which isn't looking smart IMHO.

> A set of German (Deutsch) language scripts has been prepared and had to be changed from Unicode (UTF8) to ISO 8859-1 (Western European) in order to run properly on Windows XP.  The script window does not show extended characters used in German on an English Windows XP, but the scripts run correctly.  They should appear correctly in Windows XP installs set for Western European languages.  This part remains to be confirmed.  See<https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127082>.
>
> If the German version is not complete today, I propose going ahead with the general distribution of the English and Dutch ones and adding the German set later.

German won't be ready in the next hours but hopefuĺly within this week.
So, we should go online with the stuff we have.

Marcus

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 08/23/2016 08:08 PM, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> [BCC PMC, FYI QA and L10N]
>
> There have been no comments concerning the placement of the current materials into general distribution.
>
> In addition, there is a set of Dutch (Nederland) language that also passes all tests and has been carefully proof-read.  These have been added to the directory folder.  (They are not reflected in the hotfix.html so far.)

I would prefer to have an own webpage for all languages. Otherwise we
will have a hugh webpage for a little patch which isn't looking smart IMHO.

> A set of German (Deutsch) language scripts has been prepared and had to be changed from Unicode (UTF8) to ISO 8859-1 (Western European) in order to run properly on Windows XP.  The script window does not show extended characters used in German on an English Windows XP, but the scripts run correctly.  They should appear correctly in Windows XP installs set for Western European languages.  This part remains to be confirmed.  See<https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127082>.
>
> If the German version is not complete today, I propose going ahead with the general distribution of the English and Dutch ones and adding the German set later.

German won't be ready in the next hours but hopefu\u013aly within this week.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
[BCC PMC, FYI QA and L10N]

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
[BCC to PMC, FYI to L10N and QA.]

The 4.2.1-patch1 release repository is now populated with the only localizations that we have: English (en-US) and German (de) for all platforms plus the additional Nederland (nl) for Windows.  The localizations took until yesterday, 2016-08-25, to be completed.

Propagation to the archive site has begun and will probably not be complete for another 24 hours.  Meanwhile, an updated CVE-2016-1513 will be prepared.  The update will be posted when the archive is stable, along with notification to dev@ and users@.  Those actions will provide the general availability of the Hotfix.

While minor blemishes may remain, this material will be kept stable as is unless a serious defect is brought to our attention.  Cosmetic matters are appropriate to save for whenever we need to do this again.

One lesson: Localizations should not hold up release in the future.  Localizations not available during the initial dev QA and review period should not stop the train.  Supplemental localizations are always possible.  That will likely always be the case when a hotfix is made available along with an initial vulnerability disclosure and advisory.

 - Dennis

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
[BCC PMC, FYI QA and L10N]

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.