Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/06/18 22:16:07 UTC

[Jakarta Wiki] Update of "Migrating to Subversion" by DanielRall

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by DanielRall:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Migrating_to_Subversion

The comment on the change is:
Noted Velocity completely done.  Updated Subversion plan/+'s/questions/-'s

   * Every sub-project of Jakarta gets a subdirectory in the Jakarta SVN repo.
   * They use a tags/trunk/branches structure within said subdirectory, though they could further componentise and then use the tags/trunk/branches structure if it fits them better.
-
+  * The CVS repositories of "dead" projects are not targeted for migration (e.g. jakarta-site).

  == Positives ==

- One major plus is that it simplifies the life of the infrastructure team. They no longer need UNIX accounts for each user, but can maintain users in htaccess files (behind SSL).
+ Subversion provides many advantages over CVS, smoothing out its "excessive character" while providing the same approximate level of functionality, and a much better designed platform on which to develop tools.  Sampling of improvements over CVS:
+  * move files within the repository and maintain the history
+  * delete directories (which are treated no different than any other versioned resource)
+  * treat groups of files in one commit as a single transaction (change set-like)
+  * significantly faster branching and tagging

- There are many developer pluses too. Subversion gives us the ability to move files within the repository and maintain the history, to treat groups of files in one commit as a single transaction and has faster speed on tagging.
+ Another major benefit is that administration of Subversion simplifies the life of the Infrastructure team.  UNIX accounts need not be created for each user; user accounts are instead maintained in htaccess files, with authentication occuring over SSL.

  == Questions ==

-  * What do we do with legal issues? If a non-ASF allowed licensed file appears in the repository, can we obliterate it? Is it a problem if we can't?
   * Is the community's toolset fully supported?
-  * How do we educate the community?
-  * Do we need to migrate dead cvs modules? ie) jakarta-site?

  == Negatives ==

-  * Tagging is just a directory copy. Tags which are more than a simple directory tree get trickier. ie) tagging without tagging all the files, or tagging plus a set of files in a sibling directory. The trick of doing 'cvs status -v build.xml' to list known tags for a module is no longer available as well.
-  * Installation. An SVN client, especially with SSL support, seems trickier to install than CVS.
+  * The tagging and branching model varies from that of CVS, and is only a "cheap" directory copy. Tags which are more than a simple directory tree get trickier. ie) tagging without tagging all the files, or tagging plus a set of files in a sibling directory. The trick of doing 'cvs status -v build.xml' to list known tags for a module is no longer available as well.  Instead, the "tags/" directory in the repository may be browsed using a 'svn ls' or a [http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ web browser].
+  * Obliteration of files which should have never made their way into the VC repository (e.g. files with a non-ASF allowed license) can currently only be accomplished through a dump/edit/load of the entire repository by the Infrastructure team (resulting in a repository-wide maintenance window).

  == Migration Plan ==

@@ -39, +40 @@

   * POI               - Nudged. Is OS X support good enough? amongst other questions.
   * Slide             - Stefan Lützkendorf. Migration applied for.
   * Taglibs           - Tim O'Brien. Martin Cooper. Renudged.
-  * Tapestry          - Nudged. Is Subclipse good enough?
+  * Tapestry          - Nudged. Is [http://sublicpse.tigris.org/ Subclipse] good enough?
   * Turbine           - Henning Schmiedehausen, Daniel Rall

  === Archivals ===
@@ -49, +50 @@

  === DONE ===
   * BCEL              - Henri Yandell
-  * BSF               - Done.
+  * BSF               - (done)
   * Commons           - Martin Cooper + Tim O'Brien - [http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/SubversionConversion Conversion Instructions]
   * ECS               - Robert Burell Donkin + Henri Yandell. jakarta-ecs and jakarta-ecs2.
-  * HiveMind          - Done.
+  * HiveMind          - (done)
   * Lucene            - Erik Hatcher
-  * ORO               - Daniel Savarese.
+  * ORO               - Daniel Savarese
   * Regexp            - Henri Yandell
   * Site2             - Tim O'Brien + Henri Yandell - ["Site2 Conversion Instructions"]
-  * Velocity          - Needs folding of 3 dirs into 1. Daniel Rall.
+  * Velocity          - Daniel Rall

RE: [Jakarta Wiki] Update of "Migrating to Subversion" by DanielRall

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
I'd like to suggest that your contributions might be more valuable in
patch form, but given the quality of your review comments, I'll instead
advise a little shut-the-hell-up.