Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by b....@valbosoft.com on 2007/08/22 18:44:05 UTC

js1.6+fusion question

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how fusion works in combination with js 1.6. The
tomcat+js1.6+fusion pack works fine.
I'd be interested in converting a customized js1.6 instalation in a fusion
instalation. So my first next step was to deploy the jetspeed.war of
js1.6+fusion to see if that worked.
I deployed the war, and started up the hypersonic database for fusion.
But it's giving the following error:
Fusion Service: Initialization Done
[org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl] ERROR:
SQLException thrown while trying to get Connection from Datasource
(java:comp/env/jdbc/jetspeed)
Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC driver
of class '' for connect URL 'null'
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(
BasicDataSource.java:780)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(
BasicDataSource.java:540)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.newConnectionFromDataSource(
ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.java:204)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.lookupConnection(
ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.java:112)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ConnectionManagerImpl.getConnection(
ConnectionManagerImpl.java:105)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.StatementManager.getPreparedStatement(
StatementManager.java:637)
        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.JdbcAccessImpl.executeQuery(
JdbcAccessImpl.java:277)
        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RsQueryObject.performQuery(
RsQueryObject.java:74)
        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RsIterator.<init>(
RsIterator.java:183)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.RsIteratorFactoryImpl.createRsIterator(
RsIteratorFactoryImpl.java:58)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getRsIteratorFromQuery(
PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1808)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getIteratorFromQuery(
PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1333)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getObjectByQuery(
PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1445)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.DelegatingPersistenceBroker.getObjectByQuery(
DelegatingPersistenceBroker.java:307)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.DelegatingPersistenceBroker.getObjectByQuery(
DelegatingPersistenceBroker.java:307)
        at
org.springframework.orm.ojb.PersistenceBrokerTemplate$2.doInPersistenceBroker(
PersistenceBrokerTemplate.java:208)
        at org.springframework.orm.ojb.PersistenceBrokerTemplate.execute(
PersistenceBrokerTemplate.java:167)
        at
org.springframework.orm.ojb.PersistenceBrokerTemplate.getObjectByQuery(
PersistenceBrokerTemplate.java:206)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.components.portletregistry.PersistenceBrokerPortletRegistry.getPortletApplication(
PersistenceBrokerPortletRegistry.java:119)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at
org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(
AopUtils.java:284)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(
ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:155)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(
ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:122)
        at
org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(
TransactionInterceptor.java:56)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(
ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:144)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(
JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:174)
        at $Proxy0.getPortletApplication(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.tools.pamanager.PortletApplicationManager.startPA(
PortletApplicationManager.java:323)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.tools.pamanager.PortletApplicationManager.startPortletApplication(
PortletApplicationManager.java:105)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedContainerServlet.attemptStart(
JetspeedContainerServlet.java:166)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedContainerServlet.access$200(
JetspeedContainerServlet.java:50)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedContainerServlet$1.run(
JetspeedContainerServlet.java:137)
        at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.acceptsURL(Unknown Source)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(DriverManager.java:232)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(
BasicDataSource.java:773)
        ... 36 more
[org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.JdbcAccessImpl] ERROR:
PersistenceBrokerException during the execution of the query: Used
ConnectionManager instance could not obtain a connection
Used ConnectionManager instance could not obtain a connection
org.apache.ojb.broker.PersistenceBrokerException: Used ConnectionManager
instance could not obtain a connection
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.StatementManager.getPreparedStatement(
StatementManager.java:641)
[...]
Caused by: org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.LookupException: SQLException
thrown while trying to get Connection from Datasource
(java:comp/env/jdbc/jetspeed)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.newConnectionFromDataSource(
ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.java:215)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.lookupConnection(
ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.java:112)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ConnectionManagerImpl.getConnection(
ConnectionManagerImpl.java:105)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.StatementManager.getPreparedStatement(
StatementManager.java:637)
        ... 31 more
Caused by: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(
BasicDataSource.java:780)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(
BasicDataSource.java:540)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.newConnectionFromDataSource(
ConnectionFactoryAbstractImpl.java:204)
        ... 34 more
        at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.acceptsURL(Unknown Source)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(DriverManager.java:232)
        at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(
BasicDataSource.java:773)
        ... 36 more

Can anybody shine a light on this? Where do I configure database access
for fusion? I saw it can be done at source level, but can it be configured
in a configuration file also?

Regards,

Bo van Weert

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Aug 30, 2007, at 5:03 AM, b.v.weert@valbosoft.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm following the steps to build fusion.
> When I deploy (maven deploy), I get the following error:
> Unable to obtain goal [deployFusion] --
> C:\jetspeed-1.6-src\jetspeed-1.6\fusion\
> maven.xml:55:43: <attainGoal> No goal [jetspeed2:copy.context]
>
> I downloaded the jetspeed-2 source, went to the plugin directory and
> installed the plugin (I thought it might have to do with the plugin of
> version 2). However, I think that one already names it's goals
> "j2:..."
> instead of "jetspeed2:.."
>
> I changed the maven.xml in the fusion directory, changing
> "jetspeed2" to
> "j2" in the "attainGoal" part, but no success..
>
> Could anyone give a clue on how to make this work?

Sounds like you have already built Jetspeed with a newer version of
Maven, or that our remote 2.1-dev dependencies referenced in Fusion
are not in sync
You are going to need a snapshot of the Jetspeed-2 build to go
against, build it with Maven. Try checking out revision 409250

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by b....@valbosoft.com.
Hi,

I'm following the steps to build fusion.
When I deploy (maven deploy), I get the following error:
Unable to obtain goal [deployFusion] --
C:\jetspeed-1.6-src\jetspeed-1.6\fusion\
maven.xml:55:43: <attainGoal> No goal [jetspeed2:copy.context]

I downloaded the jetspeed-2 source, went to the plugin directory and
installed the plugin (I thought it might have to do with the plugin of
version 2). However, I think that one already names it's goals "j2:..."
instead of "jetspeed2:.."

I changed the maven.xml in the fusion directory, changing "jetspeed2" to
"j2" in the "attainGoal" part, but no success..

Could anyone give a clue on how to make this work?

Regards, Bo

David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
29/08/2007 19:23
Por favor, responda a
"Jetspeed Users List" <je...@portals.apache.org>

Para
"Jetspeed Users List" <je...@portals.apache.org>
cc

Asunto
Re: js1.6+fusion question

On Aug 29, 2007, at 3:35 AM, b.v.weert@valbosoft.com wrote:

> But then, what's the use of Fusion? It seemed to me that it's sole
> purpose
> was to bridge jetspeed 1 to jetspeed 2.. I mean, nobody will use
> fusion
> anymore to start a brand new project..
> Anybody else who can shine a light on how to add fusion to an existing
> distribution?

The sole purpose of Fusion was to give Jetspeed-1 JSR-168 support.
At the time it was developed, people were starting new projects with
Fusion.
Today your assessment is correct, no one will start a new project
with Jetspeed-1.
My recommendation for using Fusion with an existing project is to:

1. Build Fusion as outlined on the website
     Point the Jetspeed-1 properties a temp database
     Point the Fusion properties at the production database

2. Overlay your custom Jetspeed-1 changes (xreg, properties, db
connection strings, portlets) onto the new Fusion build
     This should be very easy if you didn't edit the Jetspeed source
directly

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Aug 29, 2007, at 3:35 AM, b.v.weert@valbosoft.com wrote:

> But then, what's the use of Fusion? It seemed to me that it's sole
> purpose
> was to bridge jetspeed 1 to jetspeed 2.. I mean, nobody will use
> fusion
> anymore to start a brand new project..
> Anybody else who can shine a light on how to add fusion to an existing
> distribution?

The sole purpose of Fusion was to give Jetspeed-1 JSR-168 support.
At the time it was developed, people were starting new projects with
Fusion.
Today your assessment is correct, no one will start a new project
with Jetspeed-1.
My recommendation for using Fusion with an existing project is to:

1. Build Fusion as outlined on the website
     Point the Jetspeed-1 properties a temp database
     Point the Fusion properties at the production database

2. Overlay your custom Jetspeed-1 changes (xreg, properties, db
connection strings, portlets) onto the new Fusion build
     This should be very easy if you didn't edit the Jetspeed source
directly

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by b....@valbosoft.com.
But then, what's the use of Fusion? It seemed to me that it's sole purpose
was to bridge jetspeed 1 to jetspeed 2.. I mean, nobody will use fusion
anymore to start a brand new project..
Anybody else who can shine a light on how to add fusion to an existing
distribution?

Thanks, Bo

David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
27/08/2007 18:04

On Aug 27, 2007, at 1:52 AM, b.v.weert@valbosoft.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> yes I have the bundled version working correctly, but I don't see
> how I
> can use that to transform existing js1.6 projects to js1.6 + fusion
> projects. I'd like to use the jetspeed plugin to make this
> transition. I'm
> using the plugin right now to integrate customizations with the
> official
> js1.6 distribution.

You will need to:

* update the jar files
* property files
* database
* shared/lib jar files

I haven't worked with Fusion for a long time now. It would take some
research for me to figure out exactly what files are required to be
updated and document it for you

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Aug 27, 2007, at 1:52 AM, b.v.weert@valbosoft.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> yes I have the bundled version working correctly, but I don't see
> how I
> can use that to transform existing js1.6 projects to js1.6 + fusion
> projects. I'd like to use the jetspeed plugin to make this
> transition. I'm
> using the plugin right now to integrate customizations with the
> official
> js1.6 distribution.

You will need to:

* update the jar files
* property files
* database
* shared/lib jar files

I haven't worked with Fusion for a long time now. It would take some
research for me to figure out exactly what files are required to be
updated and document it for you

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by b....@valbosoft.com.
Hello,

yes I have the bundled version working correctly, but I don't see how I
can use that to transform existing js1.6 projects to js1.6 + fusion
projects. I'd like to use the jetspeed plugin to make this transition. I'm
using the plugin right now to integrate customizations with the official
js1.6 distribution.

Regards, Bo

David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
25/08/2007 18:45

On Aug 25, 2007, at 9:05 AM, b.v.weert@valbosoft.com wrote:

> OK,
>
> I added the jetspeed.xml file to the fresh tomcat instalation, in
> combination with jetspeed.war and the hypersonic startup. But I
> still get
> the same error. Any ideas what else is different between the
> js1.6+fusion+tomcat instalation and my custom assembly?
>
> Or is there maybe another recommended way to convert my js1.6 custom
> distribution to a js1.6+fusion custom distribution?

Have you downloaded the ready to run "Jetspeed 1.6 + Tomcat + Fusion"
bundle from here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/fusion.html

If you want to use another db, you have to following the instructions
here

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/fusion-db.html

Unfortunately this approach requires building and configuring the
properties, sorry

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Aug 25, 2007, at 9:05 AM, b.v.weert@valbosoft.com wrote:

> OK,
>
> I added the jetspeed.xml file to the fresh tomcat instalation, in
> combination with jetspeed.war and the hypersonic startup. But I
> still get
> the same error. Any ideas what else is different between the
> js1.6+fusion+tomcat instalation and my custom assembly?
>
> Or is there maybe another recommended way to convert my js1.6 custom
> distribution to a js1.6+fusion custom distribution?

Have you downloaded the ready to run "Jetspeed 1.6 + Tomcat + Fusion"
bundle from here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/fusion.html

If you want to use another db, you have to following the instructions
here

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/fusion-db.html

Unfortunately this approach requires building and configuring the
properties, sorry

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by b....@valbosoft.com.
OK,

I added the jetspeed.xml file to the fresh tomcat instalation, in
combination with jetspeed.war and the hypersonic startup. But I still get
the same error. Any ideas what else is different between the
js1.6+fusion+tomcat instalation and my custom assembly?

Or is there maybe another recommended way to convert my js1.6 custom
distribution to a js1.6+fusion custom distribution?

regards Bo

David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
23/08/2007 22:02

On Aug 23, 2007, at 2:46 AM, b.v.weert@valbosoft.com wrote:

> David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
> 22/08/2007 23:03
> Por favor, responda a
> "Jetspeed Users List" <je...@portals.apache.org>
>

> Para
> "Jetspeed Users List" <je...@portals.apache.org>
> cc
>
> Asunto
> Re: js1.6+fusion question
>

> On Aug 22, 2007, at 9:44 AM, b.v.weert@valbosoft.com wrote:
>> Can anybody shine a light on this? Where do I configure database
>> access
>> for fusion? I saw it can be done at source level, but can it be
>> configured
>> in a configuration file also?
>>
> Why not use Jetspeed-2?
>
> I have several portals in production that are based on JS1.5 or
> 1.6. I've
> created a custom distribution (standard distribution + extras) that
> serves
> as a base for these portals. Now I'd like to add fusion to this base
> distribution in order to make a transition to jsr 168.
>
> The documentation here explains how to configure and build Fusion:
>
> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/fusion.html
>
> Database configuration:
>
> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/fusion-db.html
>
> Yes, I've read these pages, but for what I see, I can only define
> fusion
> database parameters at build time (= maven parameters). What I'd
> like is
> to include a working fusion for my base distribution, and then be
> able to
> configure it for each individual production portal. I can't see
> anywhere
> how to change the database parameters in some configuration file.
> Is it
> possible at all?

You can change the db parameters in the jetspeed.xml context under
conf/Catalina/localhost

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> [...]

I have several portals in production that are based on JS1.5 or 1.6. I've
created a custom distribution (standard distribution + extras) that serves
as a base for these portals. Now I'd like to add fusion to this base
distribution in order to make a transition to jsr 168.

The documentation here explains how to configure and build Fusion:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/fusion.html

Database configuration:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/fusion-db.html

Yes, I've read these pages, but for what I see, I can only define fusion
database parameters at build time (= maven parameters). What I'd like is
to include a working fusion for my base distribution, and then be able to
configure it for each individual production portal. I can't see anywhere
how to change the database parameters in some configuration file. Is it

As stated on the http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/fusion.html page,
there is a jetspeed.war (js1.6 + fusion), what is needed to make this war
work? What I did was deploy it and start up the hypersonic database, but
then the errors occurr that I pasted in my former mail, so something must
be missing. I'm a newby on the fusion part, sorry if these are very basic
questions..

Regards, Bo

Re: js1.6+fusion question

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.