Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com> on 2012/08/22 18:44:24 UTC

UI: Navigation concept

Hello All,

In an effort to gain more screen real estate, a few front-end developers and I have been playing around with changing the navigation and are researching a few things like max and min width in the css. Below is a link to a sample of a "3d cubed" based navigation. Would love to hear thoughts regarding this idea. We are still working on some of the more requested items in the feedback(too many clicks, easier accessibility, etc...) but are taking things step by step.

http://www.schhen.com/citrix/demos/demo5/

Thanks You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
I think the 3d effect could be useful as it does allow for a hidden
menu and still shows the entire page. It does buy real-estate in spite
of being fancy. I think it could probably be smoothed out a bit though
so it's not so jarring.

One thing about the slide out is that it moves a chunk of the main
content out of the window (for me). The alternative would be to slide
out over it, also less than ideal but I guess you probably don't
necessarily need to have access to that content while navigating.

Would it be possible to shrink the main content rather than rotate it
or slide it out of view? Sort of like an "expose" view on the mac
(four finger swipe down) that brings up the dock and your current
window. That way all of the content is still visible, you gain the
real-estate you were looking for, and it's a shiny effect without
seeming frivolous.

RE: Navigation concept

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@citrix.com>.
Hi Sonny,

Nice concept, I'm looking forward to some awesome UI changes.

I've a suggestion for you, to implement url routers that tracks url history, like we see on twitter/facebook.
For example, checkout backbonejs's url router:
http://backbonetutorials.com/what-is-a-router/
http://backbonejs.org/#Router

Regards,
Rohit

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

RE: Navigation concept

RE: Navigation concept

RE: Navigation concept

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

RE: Navigation concept

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
I think we need a more data-driven organized WUI. The current on requires too many clicks to get anywhere, and is a little fisher-pricey(big buttons). Nice 2D graphics would be great but I agree for minimal animation.

Also Pie-charts would be bad-ass!

Sent from my iPhone

Re:Re: what kinds of ethernet attached to VM,mii-tool can not work

Posted by coudstacks <cl...@163.com>.
thanks.
i have a  try inside vmware'VMs, mii-tool  and ethtool can give more infomations about ethernet.
i think it is xenserver's defect.meanwhile you can not specify  a certain kind of ethernet when create VMs.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
Hi,

Posted by coudstacks <cl...@163.com>.

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com>.
+1

Sent from my iPhone

Thank You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
www.SChhen.com

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by Caleb Call <ca...@me.com>.

RE: Navigation concept

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.

Not enough!

RE: Navigation concept

Posted by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com>.
Hello all,

Thanks for the feedback. It has been helpful in deciding not just new feature ideas but possible art directions for the next iteration of CloudStack.

Wido:

I've used Cloudstack on my iPad 2 and haven't had any problems with sluggishness. We do the best we can in making sure that the ui does not compromise the speed of the application by trying to optimize our code, use of sprite sheets, and researching any new techniques that could optimize speed. We can look into other solutions as well and I do agree that a shift into a mobile/tablet based area would be ideal. In fact this 3d demo also works on an iPad.

Kelcey:

We are working on solutions for the too many clicks and the initial idea behind this design(funny enough) was for tablet devices. I like the idea of experimenting with a minimal design as well.

Also, we do have pie-charts on the admin dashboard :)

Thanks You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

I really dig the minimalist navigation pane in the demo, but the 3D is kinda odd.

Nice soft black.

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

RE: Navigation concept

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Sonny,

RE: Navigation concept

Posted by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com>.
The slide out navigation was another option. A demo can be seen here:

http://www.schhen.com/citrix/demos/demo1/#

This would have been the backup solution for older browsers that did not support css3.

Re: Navigation concept

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Sonny,

RE: Navigation concept