Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2019/03/14 18:26:55 UTC

[PROPOSAL] YAML migration for 9.0.0

Hi all,

As we’re making more progress migrating towards YAML configurations, I’d like to make two proposals for v9.0.0:

1) As we migrate a configuration to the new YAML format, we only support YAML. I.e. no backwards compatibility layers.  Of course, we only break such compatibility in major versions, which is also why we want to get as much of this in before 9.0.0 as possible.

2) We remove the following configurations from records.config, and only support the default config files names (e.g. ip_allow.yaml).

	proxy.config.cache.storage_filename
	proxy.config.cache.control.filename
	proxy.config.cache.ip_allow.filename
	proxy.config.cache.hosting_filename
	proxy.config.cache.volume_filename
	proxy.config.dns.splitdns.filename
	proxy.config.log.config.filename
	proxy.config.url_remap.filename

Some justifications:

For 1;  We will name the new configs .yaml, e.g. ip_allow.yaml, which allows everyone to keep the old .config file (e.g. ip_allow.config), such that you can downgrade the ATS binaries, and keep the configuration tree.

For 1; A big reason for the migration to the new YAML is that we can add new features here in a much more reasonable way. Trying to maintain both the old and the new configuration formats puts an unreasonable burden on development. It also makes for a less friendly UX IMO, where if you stick to the old version of the configurations, you won’t be able to use the same features as if you pick the YAML format.

For 2: These configurations were just kinda useless to begin with, and with YAML, and the organization of YAML configs into name spaces, we can move towards a single configuration file / format approach (with #include and config.d/  directories). These old configurations do not play well with this goal.

If there are concerns about any of these, please voice them here. I imagine the most controversial is 1) above, so if you feel strongly here, be prepared to back this with valid arguments, and development resources :-).

Cheers,

— Leif

Re: [PROPOSAL] YAML migration for 9.0.0

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

> On Mar 14, 2019, at 5:07 PM, Masaori Koshiba <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> proxy.config.ssl.server.multicert.filename

Yes, it should also be removed.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Masaori Koshiba <ma...@apache.org>.

> 2) We remove the following configurations from records.config, and only
> support the default config files names (e.g. ip_allow.yaml).
>         proxy.config.cache.storage_filename
>         proxy.config.cache.control.filename
>         proxy.config.cache.ip_allow.filename
>         proxy.config.cache.hosting_filename
>         proxy.config.cache.volume_filename
>         proxy.config.dns.splitdns.filename
>         proxy.config.log.config.filename
>         proxy.config.url_remap.filename

Is "proxy.config.ssl.server.multicert.filename" also included? It will be
ssl_multicert.yaml, I think.

- Masaori

Posted by John Rushford <jj...@gmail.com>.
I'm +1 but with that said, there are 3 configs that use the
proxy/ControlMatcher, hosting.config, parent.config, and splitdns.config.
I worked on a PR for parent.config,
https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/4857,
and made changes to the ControlMatcher to parse YAML for the
parent.config.  The change looks at the filename and only uses the YAML
parser if the filename ends in .yaml otherwise it parses using the current
format.
This change let me add support for parsing the parent.config without having
to convert hosting.config and splitdns.config at the same time.  I went
this way thinking that once all the users of the ControlMatcher had been
converted,
the old format could then be removed and a single massive PR would not be
needed for converting all 3 config files.

--
John Rushford
jjrushford@gmail.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] YAML migration for 9.0.0

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
+ 1

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
+ 1

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

> On Mar 14, 2019, at 1:29 PM, John Rushford <jr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Leif,
>
> Your proposal seems fine to me.  I have a PR on github that converts the
> existing parent.config to YAML,
> https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/4857
> In this PR, I had made it backwards compatible with the existing format.
> The change involves a lot of changes to the ControlMatcher which is also
> used by other configs.

Yes, this is fine, as a transitional step. What the proposal does is that we all agree that before we release v9.0.0, we kill old configurations that now have YAML.

Having these transitional steps is definitely a good idea, and lets us test master with less pain. I’d say keep #4857 as is.

Cheers,

— Leif

Posted by John Rushford <jr...@apache.org>.
Leif,