Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/06 03:34:12 UTC

NiFi Authentication Mechanisms

All,

I've started working on providing additional authentication mechanisms for
the NiFi user interface. Currently, only two way SSL using client
certificates is supported to authenticate users. I would like to inquire
about which other mechanisms the community would like to see implemented.

We have created a feature proposal discussing some of the options [1]. At a
high level, in additional to PKI, we are looking at

- Username/password
-- stored in a local configuration file (ie authorized-users.xml)
-- stored in a configurable LDAP
-- stored in a configurable database
- Kerberos
- OpenId Connect

What other options are important and should be added to the list? Thanks!

Matt

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Pluggable+Authentication

Re: NiFi Authentication Mechanisms

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
I would like to also bring up the fact that the Hadoop project has a module
for adding kerberos/spnego for Web UIs and REST APIs.
The hadoop-auth module from hadoop is basically a servlet filter with
pluggable authenticationHandlers as delegates.

This will buy you spnego authentication along with the Hadoop specific
delegation token support.

In addition to this, you likely want to consider the trusted proxy support
that REST APIs in Hadoop need in order for Apache Knox or another gateway
to invoke APIs on the behalf of endusers.

Maybe I will file a JIRA for this in nifi and keep it out of this thread. :)

Posted by Andrew Hulbert <ah...@ccri.com>.

Posted by Michael Kobit <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sumanth Chinthagunta <xm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Braddy <rb...@softnas.com>.