Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by admin <ad...@javable.com> on 2002/12/11 20:54:27 UTC

i18n-ing forrest

Hi everybody,

We're interested in using forrest for maintaining the java-news web
site. Problem is, the site publishes articles in both English and
Russian. Forrest transforms russian documents into html without
problems (needs a proper encoding set in xml docs, though), but fop
does not include proper fonts. This is a known problem with fop, and a
fix is available (actually, modification of userconfig.xml). But I
don't see  userconfig.xml anywhere in forrest distribution. Any idea
where it is, or where should I put it, so fop from forrest picks it
up?

thanks,
--Sergey

Re[2]: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by admin <ad...@javable.com>.
JT> Sure.. I have no idea what to write though :)  Is adding the FOP
JT> userconfig.xml file all that needs to be done?  Should Forrest be
I think including userconfig.xml in a standard distribution and
mentioning somewhere that it's available for i18ing would be just
perfect.

-- Sergey

Re: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:57:19PM +0900, IAS wrote:
> Dear Sergey,
> Please see the message at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103604121521559&w=2 . I
> hope that would help you out. In addition,
> http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr/2g/ias-site.zip has an example of
> userconfig.xml (and its i18n font metric file, cyberbit.xml).
>
> Merry Christmas,
> IAS
>
> P.S. Jeff, how about adding some document to Forrest site (and
> distribution) about guiding i18n for Forrest?

Sure.. I have no idea what to write though :)  Is adding the FOP
userconfig.xml file all that needs to be done?  Should Forrest be
including one by default?  If you have any advice on what Forrest should
be doing, or documenting, please let us know.

--Jeff

Re: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
From: "IAS" <ia...@apache-korea.org>

> Dear Sergey,
> Please see the message at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103604121521559&w=2 . I
> hope that would help you out. In addition,
> http://www.iasandcb.pe.kr/2g/ias-site.zip has an example of
> userconfig.xml (and its i18n font metric file, cyberbit.xml).

Sergey,
you can also contact me directly (in Russian or English) by
kpiroumian@apache.org if you any problems with i18n in Cocoon (and thus in
Forrest). I'd be glad to help you.

> Merry Christmas,
> IAS
>
> P.S. Jeff, how about adding some document to Forrest site (and
> distribution) about guiding i18n for Forrest?

It'd would be also fine to provide some content in different languages (see
PHP docs for an example). I can translate a couple of pages to Russian. But
this requires decisions on how to setup the correct i18n URIs in sitemap and
the needed UI changes. I'd do it myself, but unfortunately, I'm very limited
in time these days.

Konstantin

Re: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
From: "Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org>

> IAS wrote:
>
> > Thanks, David. I'm willing to create and provide a xdoc for i18n and
> > some patch accompanying that. Here's a brief teaser. (:-)
> >
> > Title: Internationalization (i18n)
>
> People will not like you for that. Please, at least zip before sending
> 700K+ attachments. I have broadband access, but I know our i18n guru
> works off a GPRS link.

Thanks Steven for "i18n guru" ;)

I've noticed the size of the message a little late ;)

I'll take a look at it on Sunday, when I went to work the connection there
is much faster and free (Yes, we work on Sunday, cause there was a national
holiday on Thursday and the Friday was exchanged with Sunday, so we have
continuos 3 day weekend, but will have to work 6 days since Sunday).

Konstantin

RE: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by IAS <ia...@apache-korea.org>.

Sorry about that. I'll do as you advised. Thanks for pointing it out.
-IAS

Re: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

RE: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by IAS <ia...@apache-korea.org>.

:-)

I had learned Latin for one semester in my university, but definitely
not a native speaker. :-)

Re: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
From: "Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org>

RE: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by IAS <ia...@apache-korea.org>.
I was greatly impressed by the site (Actually its contents altogether).
:-0

Thanks for letting us know the marvelous one.
-IAS

Re: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
Hi!

> IAS wrote:

[...]

> Thanks, David. I'm willing to create and provide a xdoc for i18n and
> some patch accompanying that. Here's a brief teaser. (:-)

I think that this kind of stuff is better be added to Cocoon and not
Forrest, because it seems to be of a more general use and can help also
other Cocoon users.

I'm also not sure about the location of this config files. Should they be
placed somewhere in the FOP block or in i18n stuff (hopefully, I'll move it
to a block too when I have time)?

As for a sample i18n document in Forrest, it would be fine to have
"Internationalizing Forrest" document in different languages. I don't yet
have idea about the contents of it though ;)

Regards,
  Konstantin

RE: i18n-ing forrest

Posted by IAS <ia...@apache-korea.org>.