Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gonçalo Marques <go...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/29 11:57:20 UTC

[collections] COLLECTIONS-551

Hello,

I'm creating this thread in order to discuss issue COLLECTIONS-551.

I don't know the deprecation policies of the Commons project in detail, but
based on the last comment posted by Thomas on issue COLLECTIONS-550 I
assume that:

In the next release (4.1):

 - Methods using Iterables in CollectionUtils should be replicated into
IterableUtils;

 - Methods in CollectionUtils should be transformed into delegates to the
ones copied to IterableUtils;

 - Methods in CollectionUtils should be marked as @Depreated.

In release 5:

 - Methods in CollectionUtils shall be removed.

IMO the Unit Tests related with these methods should be copied into
IterableUtilsTest, but should also be kept in CollectionUtilsTest until
version 5. This way we also guarantee that the delegates in CollectionUtils
don't break in 4.1.

If this is correct, and if you think I may be useful here, I'm available to
take this issue.

Let me know your thoughts.

Gonçalo

Re: [collections] COLLECTIONS-551

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 January 2015 at 10:57, Gonçalo Marques
<go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm creating this thread in order to discuss issue COLLECTIONS-551.
>
> I don't know the deprecation policies of the Commons project in detail, but
> based on the last comment posted by Thomas on issue COLLECTIONS-550 I
> assume that:
>
> In the next release (4.1):
>
>  - Methods using Iterables in CollectionUtils should be replicated into
> IterableUtils;
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils should be transformed into delegates to the
> ones copied to IterableUtils;
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils should be marked as @Depreated.
>
> In release 5:

>  - Methods in CollectionUtils shall be removed.

If this is done, the package name and Maven coordinates need to be changed.

So delegate removal should only be done when there are other more
fundamental API changes.

> IMO the Unit Tests related with these methods should be copied into
> IterableUtilsTest, but should also be kept in CollectionUtilsTest until
> version 5. This way we also guarantee that the delegates in CollectionUtils
> don't break in 4.1.

Good point regarding tests.

[The delegate tests should have @IgnoreWarnings("Deprecation") ]

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 01/29/2015 11:57 AM, Gonçalo Marques wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm creating this thread in order to discuss issue COLLECTIONS-551.
>
> I don't know the deprecation policies of the Commons project in detail, but
> based on the last comment posted by Thomas on issue COLLECTIONS-550 I
> assume that:
>
> In the next release (4.1):
>
>  - Methods using Iterables in CollectionUtils should be replicated into
> IterableUtils;
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils should be transformed into delegates to the
> ones copied to IterableUtils;
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils should be marked as @Depreated.
>
> In release 5:
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils shall be removed.
>

> IMO the Unit Tests related with these methods should be copied into
> IterableUtilsTest, but should also be kept in CollectionUtilsTest until
> version 5. This way we also guarantee that the delegates in CollectionUtils
> don't break in 4.1.
>
> If this is correct, and if you think I may be useful here, I'm available to
> take this issue.

Hi Goncalo,

yes this is the right way to do it.

Would be great if you have some time to work on this.

Thomas

Re: [collections] COLLECTIONS-551

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Gonçalo,

welcome to the Apache Commons community.

> Hello,
>
> I'm creating this thread in order to discuss issue COLLECTIONS-551.
>
> I don't know the deprecation policies of the Commons project in detail, but
> based on the last comment posted by Thomas on issue COLLECTIONS-550 I
> assume that:
>
> In the next release (4.1):
>
>  - Methods using Iterables in CollectionUtils should be replicated into
> IterableUtils;
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils should be transformed into delegates to the
> ones copied to IterableUtils;
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils should be marked as @Depreated.
>
> In release 5:
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils shall be removed.
>

> IMO the Unit Tests related with these methods should be copied into
> IterableUtilsTest, but should also be kept in CollectionUtilsTest until
> version 5. This way we also guarantee that the delegates in CollectionUtils
> don't break in 4.1.
>
> If this is correct, and if you think I may be useful here, I'm available to
> take this issue.
>
> Let me know your thoughts.

This is exactly the way to go. We always need helping hands. If you like to
work on this issue, go ahead!

Thanks,
Benedikt

--