Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Andrew Vardeman <an...@iastate.edu> on 2002/05/31 16:53:57 UTC

RE: AW: How do you pass an XML document between Axis and .Net Cl ient?

Ack!

Maybe this shouldn't bug me since the whole point of Axis is you're not
supposed to care what's on the wire--but the notion of XML-encoding an
entire XML document so it can be passed as a string via RPC, when instead
you could just insert the literal document as the SOAP Body, makes no sense
to me.

You could have this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
  <SOAP-ENV:Body>
<my_xml_document><blah/><blah/></my_xml_document>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

or you could have this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
  <SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:someParameter xmlns:ns1 = "urn:some_namespace"
xsi:type="xsd:string">&lt;my_xml_document>&lt;blah/>&lt;blah/>&lt;/my_xml_document></someParameter>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

The longer your XML document, and the more entities that need to be
escaped, the more convoluted the second version gets.  Like I say, maybe I
just shouldn't care--but what is doc style for if not situations like this?

Sorry if I've overlooked something obvious here.  I'm new to all this, and
maybe I've misunderstood the problem or the proposed solution.  Anyway, if
you want an example messaging service, check out the message/ directory in
the samples that came with Axis.  You can see it creating SOAPBodyElements
from DOM Elements, which is what you want to do.  Your messaging client
would need to grab the document element from your DOM (with the
Document.getDocumentElement() call) and pass that to the SOAPBodyElement
constructor.  Pass this single SOAPBodyElement to your service, and what
the service will get is a SOAP Envelope with your XML document for the body.

Andrew

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> > >Maybe this shouldn't bug me since the whole point of Axis is you're not
> > >supposed to care what's on the wire--but the notion of XML-encoding an
> > >entire XML document so it can be passed as a string via RPC, when
instead
> > >you could just insert the literal document as the SOAP Body, makes no
sense
> > >to me.
> > >

> >well, imagine  you are using a standard XML doc format, like say the 300+
> >page Job description format for printing (http://www.cip4.org/). And
imagine
> >that two years from now you might have to support the next version.
> >
> >if your endpoint has a method like submit(JDF descriptor) your runtime
can
> >handle future versions of the format in the same endpoint, by looking at
the
> >schema version of the payload and running with it.
>
> sure, but couldn't you get the same effect by dropping the XML document
> down a level in the SOAP Body, say, under an "<JDF>" label?  You could
> define a request format like this:
>
> <docSubmission>
>    <descriptor>some descriptor</descriptor>
>    <JDF>
>      <blah_blah_blah />
>    </JDF>
> </docSubmission>
>
> I understand your point, which is that RPC is good for passing typed
> parameters and you'll often want to pass some parameters along with an XML
> document.  But RPC certainly isn't *necessary* for this.  I suppose the
> argument would be that agreeing on a standard way of passing these
> parameters is better than defining your own request schema for every web
> service you write.

I am with you in preferring doc/lit over RPC; I dont think RPC works well
over high-latency low-reliability networks.

> I guess I'm thinking of things at the SOAP spec level rather than the
> specific implementation level, which is probably silly.  Theoretically,
> couldn't a SOAP toolkit could give you SAX events from the SOAP Body just
> as easily as a complete DOM?  I presume no toolkit actually does
> this.  When I first looked into SOAP and didn't know about Axis, .NET,
> etc., I thought I would have to be constructing and disassembling SOAP
> Envelopes manually, so I'm still kind of stuck on what *could* be done
> according to the spec, as opposed to what is currently being done by
> specific implementations.

There is a lot to be said for SAX model or Pull model processing of inbound
stuff. We have used it to start validating (and base-64 deconverting)
content as it comes in; gives you a boost over long-haul connections, which
helps meet those pesky SLA process time requriements. That certainly doesnt
work well with RPC bound to methods implementation model, at least not in
Java or C#, neither of which let you curry a function by calling it a
parameter at a time.

Re: AW: How do you pass an XML document between Axis and .Net Cl ient?

Posted by Andrew Vardeman <an...@iastate.edu>.
comments inline

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
>Maybe this shouldn't bug me since the whole point of Axis is you're not
>supposed to care what's on the wire--but the notion of XML-encoding an
>entire XML document so it can be passed as a string via RPC, when instead
>you could just insert the literal document as the SOAP Body, makes no sense
>to me.

well, imagine  you are using a standard XML doc format, like say the 300+
page Job description format for printing (http://www.cip4.org/). And imagine
that two years from now you might have to support the next version.

if your endpoint has a method like submit(JDF descriptor) your runtime can
handle future versions of the format in the same endpoint, by looking at the
schema version of the payload and running with it. Also, with a 300 page

Re: RES: AW: How do you pass an XML document between Axis and .Net Cl ient?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by Andrew Vardeman <an...@iastate.edu>.

RE: How do you pass .vrml .jpg info

Posted by Chris Haddad <ch...@cobia.net>.
Cilas -

As defined by Jax-RPC, you should probably be using xsd:base64Binary (or
xsd:hexBinary depending upon encoding preferences) that maps to a byte[]
parameter.

Or, use attachments.

/Chris

Enviada em: sexta-feira, 31 de maio de 2002 11:54
Para: axis-user@xml.apache.org

Para: axis-user@xml.apache.org