Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org> on 2004/01/16 14:55:46 UTC

Problem with r7950

r7950 says:

Introduce a convenient way to wrap errors from APR functions.

This introduces an infinite loop in the libsvn_subr/utf.c
functions convert_to_stringbuf and get_xlate_handle.  Both these
functions call svn_error_wrap_apr.  svn_error_wrap_apr then calls
svn_utf_cstring_to_utf8, which calls get_ntou_xlate_handle, which
calls get_xlate_handle.  Round and round we go.

What to do about it though?  Before r7950 svn_error_createf was
used here, which doesn't have the problem.  But is that the right
answer?

Ben Collins-Sussman asks me for a reproduce recipe.  I don't
actually have one, though the bug is quite obvious without it.
This was reported by a user of the pkgsrc package on NetBSD
-current.  On that system, it is reproducible by not having
/usr/share/i18n.  This results in ENOENT from apr_xlate_open, so
he suggested handling ENOENT with the other specially handled
errors.  Unfortunately, that still leaves some error conditions
that lead to the infinite loop.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Re: Problem with r7950

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.
Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Probably, yeah.  It's a little dicey, in that we have to just
> know what functions are in the path of svn_error_wrap_apr, but
> I can't think of a better answer.

OK, i'll fix it.  Test suite running now...

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Re: Problem with r7950

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.