Posted to bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2008/11/19 19:14:38 UTC

Bluesky licensing checklist

Hi bluesky people, I was on the board call today and read your report
regarding the ffmpeg dependency. I'm on the Legal PMC and am hoping
that by coming over to your list I can help with the licensing
checklist as you guys seem to be more complex license wise than an
incubator project usually is.

My initial question for you is where you currently are on legal
issues? What's open, what's resolved etc?

Hopefully I can be of use,

Hen

Re: Bluesky licensing checklist

Posted by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
hi, as to the FFmpeg, we consulted in leagal-discussion mailing-list, and
they told us that it can't be used under ASL. And also we got guarantee from
leagl discussion mailing list that libstdc++ is available under ASL.Thus we
decided to clean FFmpeg out and to upload the "the clean" source first
meanwhile to get a subsititute of FFmpeg.

2008/11/20 Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>

> Hi bluesky people, I was on the board call today and read your report
> regarding the ffmpeg dependency. I'm on the Legal PMC and am hoping
> that by coming over to your list I can help with the licensing
> checklist as you guys seem to be more complex license wise than an
> incubator project usually is.
>
> My initial question for you is where you currently are on legal
> issues?

>>>Basicly, we consult the legal issues in legal discussion mailing list

> What's open, what's resolved etc?
>
>>>don't quite understand this question, beg your pardon?

> Hopefully I can be of use,
>
> Hen

Bowen
--
Bowen Ma a.k.a Samul Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team    XJTU

Re: Bluesky licensing checklist

Posted by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
2008/11/20 Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > the following is two posts replied to my post of consulting the legal
> > problem with FFmpeg
>
> <snipping thread from legal-discuss@>
>
> > I checked the "resolved" page and found the following words:
> >>>
> > GNU LGPLThe LGPL is ineligible primarily due to the restrictions it
> places
> > on larger works, violating the third license criterion. Therefore,
> > LGPL-licensed works must not be included in Apache products.
> >>Since no other
> > people in legal discussion mailing list replied my post. I thought that's
> > veto to use ffmpeg. If i misunderstood something , please tell me. We do
> > need advices to improve our work at apache.
>
> You've definitely understood things - my concern is to make sure that
> we've understood your use case. The question of LGPL in an Apache
> product is not an easy one. Can I see the source code to understand
> how ffmpeg is hooked in and then make sure that there is a veto on
> using ffmpeg?

>>really appriciate your help. Since we can't post the source code in
mailing list. So i'll do my best to make our website open to the outnet as
quickly as possible. Thanks

Bowen

Posted by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
Sorry,forget to tell the ffmpeg things.
here is the license of ffmpeg. Despite LGPL license, it also uses some
patented algorithms....
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/legal.html

gonna apply for a new ip. thanks again.

Bowen.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
we'v checked all the libs we use in our project and post a list on
incubating website.

http://incubator.apache.org/bluesky/files/html/lib_support.html

the list contains the header files which we include in our source. At first
we don't know that the related LGPL or GPL code can't be uploaded to svn
repository. Abruptly, we uploaded all the source code and obviously we got a
goooood lesson. After that we consulted the legal problems and cleaned the
code which violated ASL. We planned to place the clean version source code
to our website 202.117.16.176 and hope that someone , at Apache community,
would be willing to have a double check of our code to ensure it won't
collide with ASL.
 Rencently, We were about to place the clean code on our
website@xjtu.Chinawhile a very embarrass thing happened. This ip
202.117.16.176 of our website  which could be visited by outnet is now
forbidden by Network Department.So we have to apply for a new ip-_-!.  Don't
how long it will cost. But i will post at mailing list as soon as we've done
everything.
    Thanks.

                Bowen2008/11/20 Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.