Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by Derek Wueppelmann <dw...@newswire.ca> on 2001/11/26 19:05:20 UTC

Interesting Problem with Version 1.3

I have come across an interesting problem with the 1.3 implementation of
Xerces Perl. For starters I was unable to install from source any other
version higher than this, I kept getting error messages, and Deb pacakges
are not availalbe for Potato. So upgrading is not an option...

Here is what I want to do... I have created a class that needs to store
state on different instances, each instance can parse an XML file. I want
to write an error handler that will store the error messages and warnings
that occur while parsing and XML document. These errors can then later be
retrieved by the calling object...

For example

$object->parse($XMLFile);
 ... This function parses the xmlfile and does stuff returns success or
 ... failuer
$object->getErrorsOccured();
 ... Gets a string of all the errors that occured while parsing the
 ... xmlfile using xerces

I tried to subclass the perlErrorHandler but I didn't get anywhere I added
a fuction to it and was told by perl that it couldn't find the .al file
associated with that fuction.

Does anyboyd have any thoughts on this? I know my explination is a little
confusing so if you have any questions please let me know. Thanks in
advance...

--
 0/ Derek Wueppelmann      derek.wueppelmann@newswire.ca
/D   Canada NewsWire Ltd.   http://www.newswire.ca

Re: Interesting Problem with Version 1.3

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Derek Wueppelmann" <dw...@newswire.ca> writes:

> Moving to Debian Sid is not really an option for me. Should the latest
> versions of Xerces-p compile properly under Potato? Which ones will
> compile without the need for PERL 5.6?

Ugghh. Potato still has 5.005...

I can understand you reluctance to upgrade, but potato is ancient
history and woody has been stable for a *long* time.

Even if you didn't want to/couldn't upgrade to woody, you could still
build and install a local version of perl-5.6.1 (perl's install is a
piece of cake compared to Xerces). It won't interfere with perl in
/usr/local/bin.

You would have to move to XML-Xerces-1.5.7 if you didn't want use
Perl-5.6. You will also need to grab the version of Xerces-C that is
compatible from:

  http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-c/nightly/2001-09-10/

The problem is no one on this list is likely to be of much help when
it comes to problems if you're not using XML-Xerces-1.5.2_0. Not only
is it the latest, but I finally straightened out all the irritating
version dependancies, and fixed all the Unicode bugs (which is why you
need perl-5.6).

Also, I notice you're from Canada. If you need to support any
character set besides ASCII (like ISO-8859-1) you cannot do that with
older version of XML::Xerces.

jas.

Re: Interesting Problem with Version 1.3

Posted by Derek Wueppelmann <dw...@newswire.ca>.
On 26 Nov 2001, Jason E. Stewart wrote:

> "Derek Wueppelmann" <dw...@newswire.ca> writes:
>
> > I have come across an interesting problem with the 1.3
> > implementation of Xerces Perl. For starters I was unable to install
> > from source any other version higher than this, I kept getting error
> > messages, and Deb pacakges are not availalbe for Potato. So
> > upgrading is not an option...
>
> I wouldn't wait around for the debs. I do all my work on a debian sid
> system. You shouldn't have any trouble compiling the latest versions
> of Xerces-C or XML::Xerces on a debian system. If you do, please write
> to the list and we can help.
>
> The system has changed *immensely* since my first stumbling 1.3
> releases.

Moving to Debian Sid is not really an option for me. Should the latest
versions of Xerces-p compile properly under Potato? Which ones will
compile without the need for PERL 5.6?

I have previously installed from source Xerces-C without any problems it
was the PERL library that had some issues. if you want I can try it again
and report back what the errors were.

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Derek Wueppelmann" <dw...@newswire.ca> writes:

> I have come across an interesting problem with the 1.3
> implementation of Xerces Perl. For starters I was unable to install
> from source any other version higher than this, I kept getting error
> messages, and Deb pacakges are not availalbe for Potato. So
> upgrading is not an option...

I wouldn't wait around for the debs. I do all my work on a debian sid
system. You shouldn't have any trouble compiling the latest versions
of Xerces-C or XML::Xerces on a debian system. If you do, please write
to the list and we can help.

The system has changed *immensely* since my first stumbling 1.3
releases.

Cheers,
jas.