Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Peter Darling <pl...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/09 18:41:43 UTC

[users@httpd] .htaccess apparently ignored when host accessed by IP

Hello users.

I am having trouble with a server where the .htaccess file directives
are ignored when the host is accessed by the IP number.  If accessed
via the domainname, .htaccess directives are fully functional.
According to diff, other than IP numbers, this server has an identical
httpd.conf to other servers; those servers do not have this IP vs.
domainname problem, so I know it's not an issue in httpd.conf.  Any
ideas on where else to look for a culprit?

-Peter

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess apparently ignored when host accessed by IP

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/9/05, Peter Darling <pl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello users.
>
> I am having trouble with a server where the .htaccess file directives
> are ignored when the host is accessed by the IP number.  If accessed
> via the domainname, .htaccess directives are fully functional.
> According to diff, other than IP numbers, this server has an identical
> httpd.conf to other servers; those servers do not have this IP vs.
> domainname problem, so I know it's not an issue in httpd.conf.  Any
> ideas on where else to look for a culprit?

The only thing that controls this in your apache config is the
AllowOverride directive.  You may have set that differently for
different vhosts.

Other than that, you should look for other issues like a cache not
being refreshed or another server grabbing the requests.

Joshua.