Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Rob S." <rs...@sfu.ca> on 2001/09/21 21:49:19 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/util ProcessHelper.java

> > - Javadoc errors make Jon nervous (fix for bug 3681).
> >

>No. I consider javadoc errors like having C compile warnings.
>
>They don't break the build, but they look ugly and are a sign of sloppy
>engineering.

Sometimes I wish I had half the cajones Jon does when dealing with people
at work, because a lot of the times I'm thinking something similar, but I'm
too worried about what people will think =)

- r

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/util ProcessHelper.java

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 9/21/01 6:26 PM, "Rob S." <rs...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> Exactly!  The answer is/was "well, it works, deal with it yourself."  I'm
> not (wasn't) in a position of authority, so there's not much I could
> do.  My boss was there, he agreed with that statement <shrug>.
>
> Some people have very little tolerance being told how to do their jobs with
> things like that; tend to get defensive since you're criticizing their
> work.  *I* don't mind, since there's no other way to learn, but it takes
> all kinds...
>
> - r

There is a big difference between:

"hey, that needs to be re-written and/or needs new architecture"

and

"hey, fix your javadoc warnings"

The first one is a pretty major change which might affect product release
schedules and the second one is a hey, you have a typo in your file that
should be fixed.

-jon

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/util ProcessHelper.java

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@sfu.ca>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.