Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2019/05/10 04:25:10 UTC

Podling PPMC members and mentors not signed up to private lists

Hi,

A number of podlings mentors and PPMC members are not signed up to their podling private lists.

If you are a mentor of a project listed below can you please remind your PPMC members to sign up to the private list and ensure that yourself or other mentors are signed up to your podlings private list.

Important emails get sent to the podlings private email lists and as a PPMC member you really need to be signed up to it so you don’t miss them. I know there may be reasons for this not happening, as some people only use lists.apache.org and there may be people who were on an initial PPMC that didn’t get involved or your podling may just be starting out.

If your project is approaching graduation I’d especially suggest you try and fix this.

The number of missing signups here may indicate that there’s an issue e.g. It may be that mentors are not active or not all PPMC members are actively involved or it could be just an on-boarding issue of new PPMC members for the podling or an initial steppe step that was skipped. Whatever it is it wold be good to see more mentors and PPMC members signed up.
- Amaterasu - One mentor not signed up to private list and no PPMC member signed up [1]
- Annotator  - Two mentors not signed up  and one PPMC member not signed up [2]
- Datasketches - Five PPMC members not signed up [6]
- Flagon - Two mentors not signed up and three PPMC members not signed up [13]
- Hivemall - Two mentors not signed up [15]
- Iceberg - One mentor not signed dup and all PPMC not signed up [17]
- MXNet - Thirteen PPMC members not signed up. [22]
- Nemo - Seven PPMC members not signed up. [24]
- Openwisk - Six PPMC members not signed up [26]
- Piont - One mentor not signed up and ten PPMC members not signed up. [28]
- Ratis - One mentor and five PPMC members not signed up. [30]
- Soma - Two mentors not signed up. [33]
- SDAP - Two mentors not signed up and eight PPMC members not signed up, [34]
- Spot - Thirteen PPMC members not signed up. [37]
- Taverna - Two mentors and five PPMC members not signed up. [40]
- Training - Five PPMC members not signed up. [43]
- Tuweni - Six PPMC members not signed up. [44]

These are less concerning, but it would be nice to see all mentors signed up:
- BatchEE - One mentor not signed up and four PPMC members not signed up [3]
- Crail - Three PPMC not signed up [4]
- Dories - One mentor not signed up and one PMC member not signed up. [8]
- Druid - Four PPMC members not signed up [9]
- Dubbo - Four PPMC members not signed up [10]
- ECharts - Four PPMC members not signed up [11]
- Goblin - One mentor not signed up and two PPMC members not signed up. [14]
- Hudi - One mentor not signed up and one PPMC mentor not signed dup. [16]
- Livy - One mentor not signed up and one PPMC member not signed dup. [19]
- Omid - One mentor not signed up. [25]
- Superset - One mentor and one PPMc member not signed up. [38]
- Tamaya - One mentor and two PPMC members not signed up. [39]
- Tephra - One mentor and one PPMC member not signed up. [41]
- Shardingsphere - One mentor not signed up. [35]
- Singa - One mentor and one PPMC member not signed up. [36]
- Week - One mentor and one PPMC member not signed up. [45]
- Zipkin - One mentor and four PPMC members not signed up. [48]

And these podlings are missing a couple of PPMC members:
- Daffodil - One PPMC member not signed up [5]
- Dlab - One PPMC member not signed up [7]
- Edgent - One PPMC member not signed up [12]
- IoTDB - Four PPMC members not signed up [18]
- Marvin-AI - Three PPMC members not signed up [20]
- Milagro - Two PPMC members not signed dup. [21]
- Myriad - Two PPMC members not signed up [23]
- PageSpeed - Two PPMC members not signed up. [27]
- PonyMail - Three PPMC members not signed up. [29]
- Rya -Three PPMC members not signed up. [31]
- S2Graph - One PPMC member not signed up [32]
- Toree - Two PPMC members not signed up.[42]
- Tvm - One PPMC member not signed up. [45]
- Warble - Two PPMC members not signed up. [47]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/amaterasu
2. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/annotator
3. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/batchee
4. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/crail
5. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/daffodil
6. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/datasketches
7.  https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/dlab
8. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/doris
9. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/druid
10. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/dubbo
11. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/echarts
12. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/edgent
13. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/flagon
14. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/gobblin
15. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/hivemall
16. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/hudi
17. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/iceberg
18. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/iotdb
19. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/livy
20. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/marvin
21. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/milagro
22. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/mxnet
23. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/myriad
24. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/nemo
25. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/omid
26. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/openwhisk
27. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/pagespeed
28. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/pinot
29. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/ponymail
30. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/ratis
31. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/rya
32. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/s2graph
33. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/samoa
34. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/sdap
35. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/shardingsphere
36. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/singa
37. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/spot
38. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/superset
39. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/tamaya
40. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/taverna
41. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/tephra
42. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/toree
43. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/training
44. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/tuweni
45. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/tvm
46. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/warble
47. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/weex
48. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/zipkin

Re: Podling PPMC members and mentors not signed up to private lists

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Given some of the issue around this do you think we should auto-subscribe all mentors or PPMC members to the private list as part of the podlings. We could also auto subscribe mentors to the IPMC list at the same time. There may be some technical reason for not doing this, but ignoring that do people think thi is a good idea? Basically it’s opt-out rather than opt-in.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Podling PPMC members and mentors not signed up to private lists

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 13 May 2019 at 03:45, Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi sebb,
>
> On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 6:18 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 08:05, Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > Three of the inactive PPMC have indicated to step down after the graduation.
> > > For the remaining one, it is a known issue on the private@dubbo list.
> > > The PPMC member has subscribed to private with apache mail address, I
> > > am not sure why it is shown as not subscribed. I will continue to
> > > investigate it.
> >
> > As a mentor, you should be able to check the subscriber list, see:
> >
> > https://whimsy.apache.org/committers/moderationhelper
> > - list current subscribers
>
> I am not a mentor, I am a moderator of the list.

Sorry, that was a typo: I meant moderator.

> Thanks for the information, I can confirm the subscription was unsuccessful.
> The PPMC has already subscribed, I can see it on the list current subscribers.
> I may need some time for the whimsy page to sync.

The last sync time is shown on the Whimsy page.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi sebb,

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 6:18 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 08:05, Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > - Dubbo - Four PPMC members not signed up [10]
> >
> > Three of the inactive PPMC have indicated to step down after the graduation.
> > For the remaining one, it is a known issue on the private@dubbo list.
> > The PPMC member has subscribed to private with apache mail address, I
> > am not sure why it is shown as not subscribed. I will continue to
> > investigate it.
>
> As a mentor, you should be able to check the subscriber list, see:
>
> https://whimsy.apache.org/committers/moderationhelper
> - list current subscribers

I am not a mentor, I am a moderator of the list.
Thanks for the information, I can confirm the subscription was unsuccessful.
The PPMC has already subscribed, I can see it on the list current subscribers.
I may need some time for the whimsy page to sync.

> > --
> > Best Regards!
> > Huxing

Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Podling PPMC members and mentors not signed up to private lists

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 23:11, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 08:05, Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > - Dubbo - Four PPMC members not signed up [10]
> >
> > Three of the inactive PPMC have indicated to step down after the graduation.
> > For the remaining one, it is a known issue on the private@dubbo list.
> > The PPMC member has subscribed to private with apache mail address, I
> > am not sure why it is shown as not subscribed. I will continue to
> > investigate it.
>
> As a mentor, you should be able to check the subscriber list, see:

s/mentor/moderator/

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> - Dubbo - Four PPMC members not signed up [10]

Three of the inactive PPMC have indicated to step down after the graduation.
For the remaining one, it is a known issue on the private@dubbo list.
The PPMC member has subscribed to private with apache mail address, I
am not sure why it is shown as not subscribed. I will continue to
investigate it.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Podling PPMC members and mentors not signed up to private lists

Posted by ju...@classsoftware.com.
Hi,

> As I said all the mentors are subscribed, blur there's are 6 PPMC members who are not subscribed and one person should shouldn’t be subscribed which the PPMC was asked to remove previously.

It may be possible they have signed up with an email address that is not in their Apache profile to the podling private list? But the numbers seems a little high and how did people know they were PPMC members when they signed up with a unknown email address?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Podling PPMC members and mentors not signed up to private lists

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> It seems your information about the Tuweni project is incorrect.

How exactly?

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> It seems your information about the Tuweni project is incorrect.

How exactly?

As I said all the mentors are subscribed, but there's are 6 PPMC members who are not subscribed (or that email address isn't in their Apache profile) and one person who shouldn’t be subscribed. (Which you were asked to remove.)

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Podling PPMC members and mentors not signed up to private lists

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 23:19, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 08:48, Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > *From: *Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> > *Date: *Fri, May 10, 2019 at 12:36 AM
> > *To: * <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
> >
> > No one should be subscribed to the private list other than mentors, PPMC
> > > members and ASF members (who can subscribe to any private  list).
> > >

> > Ah, my analysis does not include ASF members who are neither PPMC nor
> > mentors.
>
> Such subscribers will be shown by Whimsy if the user has sufficient karma.
>
> It's difficult to extrapolate from the numbers.
> This is because Whimsy does not check if a person is subscribed twice
> (this is not unknown).
> Also there may be a variable number of archivers.

Follow-up: known archivers are now excluded from the subscriber counts.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
*From: *Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
*Date: *Fri, May 10, 2019 at 12:36 AM
*To: * <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 11 May 2019 at 10:38, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 3:43 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > justin@classsoftware.com>

> > their

> > > I don't see why they should. A community invites a person to their
> > private@
> > > list.
> >
> > But how does the community decide to invite the person?
> > I would expect such decisions to be recorded on a mailing list.
> >

> I've seen the discussion on a private@ list, and then the invite went out.
> So, sure: it's on a list.
>
> Again: not typical ... it's been too long for me to remember which list we
> did this on :)
>
> Might be possible to find subscribers to private@FOO that have no obvious
> connection to the FOO PMC.

As noted above, Whimsy shows unexpected list subscribers to people
with suitable karma.

For example:
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committee/bloodhound#crosscheck

[The section does not appear if there are no such entries or you don't
have karma]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Again: not typical ... it's been too long for me to remember which list we did this on :)

This would be unusual, and I’ve never seen it. I would very much doubt that any podlings have this situation, but If anyone knows of any podlings that do please speak up.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Podling PPMC members and mentors not signed up to private lists

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 2:33 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 May 2019 at 02:59, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 2:36 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > No one should be subscribed to the private list other than mentors,
> PPMC
> > > members and ASF members (who can subscribe to any private  list).
> >
> > Strictly speaking, a (P)PMC may have invited guests subscribed to their
> > private@ list. This is quite unusual, but has some precedent. As you
> note:
>
> Do such invites need to be recorded somehow?

I don't see why they should. A community invites a person to their private@
list. That person subscribes, the moderator allows. Done. It isn't really a

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I have questions:
> - whimsy's UI does not (*) for mentors not on private@, right? if so, can
> we tell if mentors are on it?

Yes it will mark mentors with a * who are not subscribed.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
(minus dev@tuweni and plus dev@datasketches)

Thanks for compiling this. If it was manual, that is heroic.

Writing with my datasketches mentor hat on:

 - 3 mentors
 - 7 non-mentor PPMC

So there's 10

 - whimsy indicates private@ has 8 subscribers which implies 2 not
subscribed
 - whimsy indicates 5 PPMC marked with (*) are not subscribed

Seems like there's some internal issue here. I have questions:

*From: *Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>
*Date: *Thu, May 9, 2019 at 11:30 PM
*To: * <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Hi Justin,

*From: *Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>
*Date: *Thu, May 9, 2019 at 11:30 PM
*To: * <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Fwd: Podling PPMC members and mentors not signed up to private lists

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>.
bump on this?