Posted to builds@apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2010/07/13 22:44:02 UTC

Please review timeout settings for Hudson

Hi

[Moving this to its own thread]

We're planning to set the timeout setting for all builds in Hudson
which do not yet have one. Also, we're looking into optimizing the
timeouts for those builds which do already have one set. The purpose
of this being to make sure we have the best possible way for Hudson to
kill builds that go haywire, and to not kill builds to early due to
too short timeouts.

Jan Materne has written a Groovy script which suggests timeouts based
on Hudsons estimated build times (doubling it). The following table
contains the current timeout setting (if any) and the suggested
timeout setting for each build. Please review the suggested timeouts
for your pet builds before we run a script to set them all.

http://people.apache.org/~ngn/hudson-timeouts.txt

/niklas

Re: Please review timeout settings for Hudson

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Niklas Gustavsson
<ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> Jan Materne has written a Groovy script which suggests timeouts based
> on Hudsons estimated build times (doubling it).

Since no one has had any objections to this, I've executed the script
which has set or updated all timeout values. The result of the run is
here:
http://people.apache.org/~ngn/hudson-timeouts-20100718.txt

This means that all jobs now has timeout values and Hudson stability
will hopefully be somewhat better. If the timeout value somehow screws
up your builds, let us know and we'll adjust accordingly.

Again, Jan, thank you very much for the help with the scripts. Most useful!

/niklas