Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org> on 2004/08/12 16:47:36 UTC

transfer code from JMeter to Commons

Hi Commons Developers,
     I'm currently the maintainer of the Apache JMeter project, and for
some time, I've been wanting to get rid of some of the code we've
developed that isn't specific to JMeter.

We have:

1. collections (that don't seem to be duplicates of anything in commons)
2. discovery mechanisms that could complement commons-discovery
3. A functor/closure implementation
4. Statistical calculators (commons-math?)

and lots of other stuff that has no specificity to JMeter.

I'd like to get CVS access to commons so that I could begin transferring
this stuff over.  What are the steps I/we should take?

--
Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>
Apache Software Foundation

Re: transfer code from JMeter to Commons

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Stephen Colebourne wrote:

>From: "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>
>

>>create new projects based on this template in the sandbox for the code
>>you wish to transfer.
>>

>I would advise against creating lots of new sandbox projects. A sandbox
>project should be aiming to go somewhere. Most of your code appears to be
>fit with an existing project, so working out if and how to add to those
>projects is the main goal.
>
>I suggest individual mails about individual topics, each prefixed as per
>normal commons conventions, eg. [math]
>
>Stephen

+1 ( was just pointing out the path as to how the process of creating a
sandbox project is done).

However, I would argue, you don't want to "stiffle" the creative process
of the sandbox by overloading it with restrictions of whats to actually
be created there. Thats why its called a sandbox. ;-)

-Mark

--
Mark R. Diggory
Software Developer

Re: transfer code from JMeter to Commons

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
> >     I'm currently the maintainer of the Apache JMeter project, and for
> >some time, I've been wanting to get rid of some of the code we've
> >developed that isn't specific to JMeter.
'Get rid' could be misinterpreted. If your aim is to take code and make it
more widely available, and still support it, then your contributions are
very welcome.

From: "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/project-template/

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
You should definitely bring this up on the list, different subgroups are
going to have different opinions. Unfortunately, I suspect your going to
have to "lobby" for additions you want to make to each subproject.

It sounds like you have already made significant efforts to reorganize
and structure the stuff you want to see added to the various commons
projects. I would recommend you try to present a general email to the
Commons Developers list outlining what you think you want to see happen
with the various section of code you have available. You get allot of
feedback and it will become clearer what will go into the sandbox and
what will go directly into the projects.

For instance, I'm primarily active in the commons math project.  If
there are additions you want to make to [math], either place them in the
sandbox and direct the math subgroup to review them, or point the math
group to examples of the code in the ViewCVS for the JMeter subtree.

Expect that there will be a great deal of email discussion as the group
tends to operate(like the rest of Apache)on Consensus.

-Mark

Michael Stover wrote:

>Let's say I have a new collection type.  Does the sandbox have a copy of
>the collections project so I can play there?
>
>Most of what I've got from JMeter fits into existing released commons
>packages.  I don't want to start new packages.
>
>-Mike
>
>On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 12:16, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>

>>Michael Stover wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Commons Developers,
>>>    I'm currently the maintainer of the Apache JMeter project, and for
>>>some time, I've been wanting to get rid of some of the code we've
>>>developed that isn't specific to JMeter.
>>>
>>>We have:
>>>
>>>1. collections (that don't seem to be duplicates of anything in commons)
>>>2. discovery mechanisms that could complement commons-discovery
>>>3. A functor/closure implementation
>>>4. Statistical calculators (commons-math?)
>>>
>>>and lots of other stuff that has no specificity to JMeter.
>>>
>>>I'd like to get CVS access to commons so that I could begin transferring
>>>this stuff over.  What are the steps I/we should take?
>>>

>>All sounds good, I believe that Craig already gave you karma to the
>>sandbox. Review the sandbox structure and the default project template.
>>
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/project-template/
>>
>>create new projects based on this template in the sandbox for the code
>>you wish to transfer.
>>
>>-Mark
>>
>>--
>>Mark R. Diggory
>>Software Developer
>>Harvard MIT Data Center
>>http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Mark R. Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: transfer code from JMeter to Commons

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Re: Fwd: transfer code from JMeter to Commons

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Well, its not neccessarily the point. If there is duplication of effort
between Math and JMeter or Collections and JMeter, it can be resolved by
using the appropriate Commons libraries. If there are differences (or
better implementations), they can be discussed with the group. Chances
are, if there is code thats unique to JMeter that would be usefull to
the community at large, then we all decide if it should be added by
approaching a voting process.

-Mark

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.