Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/09/05 19:59:36 UTC

[Jakarta-jmeter Wiki] Update of "FutureReleases" by AlfHogemark

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta-jmeter Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by AlfHogemark:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/FutureReleases

The comment on the change is:
Add my thoughts on possible enhancements for JMeter in the near future

   * Rework HTTP GUI to make it easier to use and extend
   * JDBC IN/OUT/INOUT parameters
   * JDBC NULL input parameters
+  * File->Revert command, to easily reload existing file. This is implemented, but not committed to svn (Alf Hogemark)
+  * File->Open recent files command, bugzilla 31336
+  * Add HTTP methods dropdown to "SOAP/XML-RPC sampler", bugzilla 42637
+  * Remove unnecessary code duplication in "SOAP/XML-RPC sampler", rather use code inherited from HTTPSampler2. This is almost done, not committed to svn (Alf Hogemark)
+  * Make it possible to send file content for HTTP GET, PUT and DELETE using "HTTP Sampler" and "HTTP Sampler 2", and therefore also "SOAP/XML-RPC sampler"
+  * Make Axis2 / XFire / CFX Sampler, and possible retire existing "Webservice(SOAP) sampler".
+   * A bit unsure about this, not sure what benefit is over "SOAP/XML-RPC Sampler".
+   * Will we really be testing Axis / XFire client side peformance here ?
+   * Or could we make a nice GUI, so it is easier to test web services ?
+  * Make command line option available, to easily performance test one url
+   * This is meant as a replacement for the "ab" command
+   * I think it would broaden the user of JMeter a lot
+   * I will look into making a "ab result listener", which presents the same statistics as "ab" initially (Alf Hogemark)
+  * Restructure HTTP Sampler / Settings GUI. bugzilla 41917. A big job, but is becoming necessary, if we are adding more options to the HTTP Sampler
+  * Add a "View only errors" setting in viewers.
+   * Currently, there is a "Log only errors", but I want to have it as a general setting on each listener
+   * This will allow a test plan where you can easily look into samples that fails, and get statistics with or without errors (possibly exceptional cases)
+    * a "View Results Tree" is set up to only view errors
+    * a Summary listener which views all samples
+    * a Summary listener only for successes
+    * a Summary listener only for errors
+   * I find the "Write All Data to File" setting on each listener confusing, since all listeners share the same possible log output, does it not ?
+    * For example, the "Graph listener", it does not write graph files to the file does it ? It writes a CSV or XML file ?
+    * Could we remove the "Write All Data to File" setting from all listeners, and instead make a "Write All Data listener" ?
+  * Add a "Preview" button to "CSV Data Set Config", which would use the file name and parameter specification, and bring up a dialog or something to show an example of the variables available and their values.
+   * Useful for easily checking that you have specified the columns and variables correctly
+   * Could this limit the number of emails on the jmeter-user list asking how "CSV Data Set" works
+  * Improve documentation
+   * Currently, there are quite a lot of question duplication on jmeter-user mailing list, would be nice to reduce that number
+   * Does people really read the documentation ? Judging by posts on jmeter-user mailing list, I sometime have my doubts.
+   * Would be excellent to have documented steps for "view frontpage, log in, view a page, log out" scenario for the following frameworks
+    * Struts
+    * Spring
+    * Spring Webflow
+    * .net applications
+    * others (please suggest)
+    * I think that could reduce number of mails to jmeter-user mailing list
+  * Support for uploading multiple files in HTTPSampler / HTTPSampler2. I think it the one main missing functionality in HTTPSampler that browser provide, and JMeter not.
+   * this is bugzilla 19128
+   * I think this is dependent on bugzilla 41917, mentioned above
+  * Improve support for testing web service. This overlaps with some of the points above.
+  * Make a "HTTP Caching Manager", this is bugzilla 28502.
+   * It is useful for performance testing
+   * Would also be useful for functional testing, to see if pages are "cacheable".
+  * Make a "HTTP Proxy Manager", where the user can specify what proxy settings to use
+   * Then use would not have to edit jmeter.properties file or command line arguments to use a proxy
+   * We could get rid of the "HTTP Proxy" settings in the "Webservice(SOAP) sampler"
+  * Make new, nice?, icons for the GUI elements which currently do not have a unique icon. For example the post and preprocessors.
+   * Would make it a lot easier to see what is what in the tree

  = Non-functional improvements =

  This section is for non-functional changes, e.g. code re-organisation etc.

   * Use Java 1.5 for building, but only require 1.4 for running. Is this easy to do? Can it be done in Eclipse?
+  * Look into warnings when compiling code, some deprecated code should be replaced
+  * Currently, Apache Avalon seems to be used for logging. Avalon seems to have stalled, should we move to log4j ?
+   * I looked into adding a GUI / dialog for "Help->View log" to easily view the jmeter log file from the application itself.
+    * Seems to be some open source tools available for log4j which does that out of the box.
+   * Would we gain functionality by moving to log4j ?
+   * What are the risks with continuing to use Avalon, if Avalon is not maintained anymore ?
+  * Move development to the "trunk" of the Subversion repository
+  * Upgrade to httpclient4 ? httpclient4 is still only in Alpha. Should / could we have one sampler class using httpclient3 and one httpclient4 ?
+  * Remove some code in HTTPSampler, which is there fore workaround for httpclient3.0 bug, which has been fixed in httpclient3.1

  = Release strategy =