Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Richard F. Rebel" <rr...@whenu.com> on 2004/02/09 19:06:55 UTC

[mp2] Regex memory leak introduced in 5.8.1 causes havoc in mp2

Hello,

I am writing this here because when I googled about this problem, Stas
had found this bug as well and highlighted it's particularly bad side
effects in persistent mp apps.  I realize that it's a really a perl
problem.

I operate an application that serves about 15mil mp2 generated pages per
day using the worker mpm.

After upgrading to perl 5.8.1 from 5.8.0 during a distribution upgrade,
I noticed a steady memory leak that eventually leads to the server
failing.

Stas found a similar problem and isolated it to the s/// operator.  I
have followed the debugging method that he did and yes, this seems to be
the culprit of our issues as well.

My question is, for a persistent mp2 app, is there a potential way to
workaround?

I don't quite follow how perl maintainers track bugs but found the
following bug id's for blead perl #21868 and #21920 for maint.  Here is
a URL with most of the thread on p5p:

http://www.mail-archive.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg73076.html

Thanks!

--
Richard F. Rebel
rrebel@whenu.com

Re: [mp2] Regex memory leak introduced in 5.8.1 causes havoc in mp2

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hello again,

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Richard F. Rebel wrote:

> upgrading/downgrading distro provided base perl installations is
> often more of a nightmare than it's worth.

It can sometimes cause a little frustration, so I prefer to avoid the
versions provided by the distributions in the first place.  Typical of
the sort of thing you'll run into are having versions of packages in
/usr as well as in /usr/local and not always being sure which one will
be used in a given set of circumstances.  You're reluctant to nuke the
old one, in case three weeks later you're up against a tight deadline
and you find something you were planning on using is broken.

Of course when you're just getting your feet wet it adds quite a bit
to the gradient of the learning curve if you install everything from
scratch.  I don't think there's an easy answer.  Every now and again
I'll throw a machine out and replace it completely because it's just
not worth the hassle of trying to bring things like compilers and C
libraries up to date but at least you can take comfort that for Perl,
Apache and mod_perl it's really pretty straightforward by comparison
when you've done it a few times.

73,
Ged.

Re: [mp2] Regex memory leak introduced in 5.8.1 causes havoc in mp2

Posted by "Richard F. Rebel" <rr...@whenu.com>.
Yeah, well, upgrading/downgrading distro provided base perl
installations is often more of a nightmare than it's worth.

If no one else offers a work around, I guess it'll be the good ole:

./configure --prefix=/opt/<package>

For perl, apache, mp2, and all supporting modules...

:(

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ged Haywood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Richard F. Rebel wrote:
>

>>After upgrading to perl 5.8.1 from 5.8.0 during a distribution upgrade,
>>I noticed a steady memory leak that eventually leads to the server
>>failing.
>

> :(
>

>>My question is, for a persistent mp2 app, is there a potential way to
>>workaround?
>

> I think it's called Perl 5.8.3.

Seconded. You have no choice but to upgrade. 5.8.2 has other problems as well.
5.8.3 seems to be the best 5.8 version so far.

I'll try to document this important culprit.

Re: [mp2] Regex memory leak introduced in 5.8.1 causes havoc in mp2

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Richard F. Rebel wrote:

> After upgrading to perl 5.8.1 from 5.8.0 during a distribution upgrade,
> I noticed a steady memory leak that eventually leads to the server
> failing.

:(

> My question is, for a persistent mp2 app, is there a potential way to
> workaround?

I think it's called Perl 5.8.3.

73,
Ged.