Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by Ian C <ia...@amham.net> on 2015/05/24 06:57:15 UTC

Fwd: ODF Explorer

Hi All (cross posting to AOO and ODF Toolkit)

(at least when I use the correct Corinthia address :-( )

I have, as part of a research project, created a tool named the ODF
Explorer which is available for initial feedback. The thing is aimed at
projects like Corinthia or any other ODF consumer/producer.

It allows a user to see what is in an ODF document in terms of its
structure. And it looks at a form of coverage analysis called production
coverage. In short it ticks of which elements and attributes of the ODF
schema have been used. It also shows the changes between documents as
things are added.

An example graph is attached. It is a filtered view of the headers.odt that
Gabriela created.

It processes text, spreadsheet, and presentation documents.

It should be available via my dropbox account here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5407897/odfe.zip

I intend to make the thing available as an open source once I get some
feedback to confirm it at least does not go hugely wrong. Not quite sure
how to go about that though.

It is built around the Java Apache ODF Toolkit, and will require a 64 bit
Java. I've not tried on 32 I'm just assuming it won't work ??

It is a Java program wrapped in Javascript to provide a user interface and
so runs on both Linux (where it was developed) and Windows. If anyone picks
it up and tries it on a Mac let me know.

Before you can run it however, you need a couple of external things.

Graphiz available via http://www.graphviz.org/Download.php this is used to
draw graphs.
It needs to be available on your command line.
Confirm it is via dot -V (note the capital)

And Node.JS available via https://nodejs.org/download/
It too needs to be available on your command line.
npm -v to confirm.

I have seen on Windows installs that you may need to create an "npm"
directory in your AppData/Roaming  directory before node.js works. And on
other machines it installs just fine.
I have a Linux system here.

Once you have the two externals then unzip the odfe.zip to a directory of
your choice.
Open a command line and change to your selected odfe install directory
(should see a package.json and an odfe.jar file there)
And type npm start - it should say an http server has started on port 3000.

Then open Firefox or Chrome - I tend to use Chrome. Not IE, it doesn't
handle things well. And the url "http://localhost:3000/app/index.html"
 should do the business for you.

Each page has a green box in the top left hand corner to open a help page.
Open the one on the first page and it should explain the beast. If it does
not I have failed.

And since I have been working on this beast for so long now there are
probably so many things I am taking for granted.

This initial release is pretty much to check it can be run outside of my
little world and to get whatever comments I can.

Let me know how it goes and hopefully you can see the use/relevance of such
a tool.

I will try to figure out how make it (and the source) more generally
available to a wider audience once I am happy users can get it up and
running. And if there is any interest in it.

If you can think of others who would be able to comment then feel free to
forward it to them.

Many thanks for any and all feedback, which is gratefully accepted.

--
Cheers,

Ian C