Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Abhishek J Kanitkar <ab...@kpitcummins.com> on 2009/04/01 10:45:56 UTC

Is SVN better on Windows or Linux

Hello,

Can anybody please tell me whether SVN is better on Windows or Linux performance wise??

Has anybody faced with any issues while working with a large repository on Windows or Unix ?

Or can anybody tell pros and cons of SVN server on Windows or Linux ??

Please help me as we are plannig to migrate from VSS to SVN very soon.

Re: Is SVN better on Windows or Linux

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Abhishek Kanitkar
<Ab...@kpitcummins.com> wrote:
> We are going to test for sure.
>
> Sorry for the multiple posts. It happened by mistake.
>
> Can you tell me which is better option, SVN server on Windows Server or on
> Linux?

Depends: whichever you're able to admin better. The Subversion team
has gone through great lengths to support both Linux (Unix) and
Windows at the same level of functionality and stability.

> Can you tell any online material which can be of use?

http://svnbook.org/

Bye,

Erik.

Re: Is SVN better on Windows or Linux

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Abhishek J Kanitkar
<ab...@kpitcummins.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anybody please tell me whether SVN is better on Windows or Linux performance wise??
>
> Has anybody faced with any issues while working with a large repository on Windows or Unix ?
>
> Or can anybody tell pros and cons of SVN server on Windows or Linux ??
>
> Please help me as we are plannig to migrate from VSS to SVN very soon.

Please don't post 3 times. Give people some time to react to your question(s).

Also, if you want to be sure you're not going to feel any pain from
the migration I have but one advice: test it yourself as many times as
you can with as many different scenarios as you can come up with.

Regards,

Erik.