Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Srilakshmanan, Lakshman" <la...@police.vic.gov.au> on 2007/11/01 01:07:27 UTC

Article on Maven Usage

Hi All,

I saw the following at http://maven.apache.org/articles.html
" If you are writing an article on Maven we suggest contacting the
developers on the mailing list as we would be happy to provide feedback
to help ensure accuracy in your article. Just ping us on the dev mailing
list <mail-lists.html>  to get in touch. "

I am hoping you would be able to help me, but if this is not the correct
forum please direct me to the appropriate one.

I have been an avid Maven user since 2004. I have greatly enjoyed and
appreciated it.

I am preparing an article for my company and I have been asked to
provide evidence of 'large, i.e. 100 person' projects using Maven.
I personally don't agree with their request because, Maven promotes
component based development and therefore you cannot have  100 people
working on a single component. In my opinion the days of Large
Monolithic projects are dead and gone.

But, Unfortunately I am not **yet :) ** the decision maker, therefore I
have to comply with their request.

Would it be possible to provide a list of, even apache foundation,
projects with size in LOC using maven. I would try and use the size of
the project based on LOC rather that people.

Any assistance in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lakshman

EMAIL DISCLAIMER

This email and any attachments are confidential. They may also be subject to copyright.

If you are not an intended recipient of this email please immediately contact us by replying
to this email and then delete this email.

You must not read, use, copy, retain, forward or disclose this email or any attachment.

We do not accept any liability arising from or in connection with unauthorised use or disclosure
of the information contained in this email or any attachment.

We make reasonable efforts to protect against computer viruses but we do not accept liability
for any liability, loss or damage caused by any computer virus contained in this email.

Re: Article on Maven Usage

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl>.
I can't provide a list, but if you checkout a maven2 project and use the
stat-scm plugin (mvn stat-scm:stats
<http://stat-scm.sourceforge.net/stats-mojo.html>) on it, you can find
the LOC for that project.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

Re: Article on Maven Usage

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/11/2007, at 11:07 AM, Srilakshmanan, Lakshman wrote:

> I am preparing an article for my company and I have been asked to
> provide evidence of 'large, i.e. 100 person' projects using Maven.
> I personally don't agree with their request because, Maven promotes
> component based development and therefore you cannot have  100 people
> working on a single component. In my opinion the days of Large
> Monolithic projects are dead and gone.

What tends to happen is that smaller, distinct teams each use Maven
and interact with each other through the common repository of
artifacts - so even though the monolithic build/dev style is gone, it
is totally possible for hundreds (even thousands) of developers to be
collaborating within a common infrastructure.

> Would it be possible to provide a list of, even apache foundation,
> projects with size in LOC using maven. I would try and use the size of
> the project based on LOC rather that people.

Maven itself is one of the larger ones (especially when including the
various subproject frameworks and applications). Others that you
might look at are Geronimo, ActiveMQ, ServiceMix, Cocoon,
OpenJPA, ... there's plenty of examples.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

RE: Article on Maven Usage

Posted by "Srilakshmanan, Lakshman" <la...@police.vic.gov.au>.
I don't believe there is any one project in the company that has 100
developers, but it is early days and I could be proved wrong. But I
doubt it :).

Thanks
Lakshman
Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.