Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2003/12/28 16:42:55 UTC

Re: Documentv20 --> XHTML

Quoting Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>:

> I've been trawling the list regarding the proposed move to XHTML. Here's
> what I discovered:

I want to make sure this is clear for myself and others.  Please correct me if
I'm wrong.

A specific subset of XHTML2 will be used, not XHTML2 in it's entirety.  The
suggested document format will use this subset (instead of doc-v20 or doc-v12).
But the main advantage of XHTML2 will be in using it as an intermediate format
and doc-v12, simplified docbook, etc can still be used as source documents.

> h is not equivalent to title

Why not use the title attribute of <section>?  Section supports it, and it makes
sense semantically.

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net

Re: Documentv20 --> XHTML

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.

Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>:
>

>>I've been trawling the list regarding the proposed move to XHTML. Here's
>>what I discovered:
>>

> I want to make sure this is clear for myself and others.  Please correct me if
> I'm wrong.
>
> A specific subset of XHTML2 will be used, not XHTML2 in it's entirety.  The
> suggested document format will use this subset (instead of doc-v20 or doc-v12).
> But the main advantage of XHTML2 will be in using it as an intermediate format
> and doc-v12, simplified docbook, etc can still be used as source documents.

That was my thinking yes, there are too many documents currently written
in XDoc to demand they change to XHTML. And yes, it will be a subset of
XHTML, the minimum needed to get things done the way they are at present.

Having said that, there are XHTML editors and the differences between
XHTML and XDoc are very small. So I imagine we would provide a converter
of some description so that projects can switch to using XHTML as their
native form if they so desire.

Ross