Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2006/10/16 16:26:22 UTC

My james server got hacked

Hi,

A few days ago James was getting blocked up.  I
noticed a lot of mail that I was not sending in the
outgoing/ directory.

My James password was 8 characters all text, and I
just changed it to make it more secure.

I changed the password on my James POP3 account (I'm
the only user).

Does anyone know of any other way to get mail into the
outgoing directory?

Does James have any type of password encryption
mechanism.  Right now the password is in cleartext in
the config file.

I suppose I could create a checksum and just cut and
paste whenever I telnet in, but hopefully there's a
more ideal solution.

Thanks,
- Ole

P.S.

Here's an example of the type of mail in my outgoing
folder in case anyone knows if there are helpful clues
in there:

From: ole@pyramidetechnologies.com^M
To: coralcalder@rplh.com^M
Subject: Re:copernicusbipolarcreating^M
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 07:28:33 +0800^M
^M
------=_Part_4_9838890.1160955044244^M

boundary="----=_Part_5_5990238.1160955044244"^M
^M
------=_Part_5_5990238.1160955044244^M
^M
We were unable to deliver the attached message because
of an error in the mail server.

Error message below:
550 - Requested action not taken: no such user here

Message details:
  Subject: copernicusbipolarcreating
  Sent date: Sun Oct 15 18:28:33 CDT 2006
  MAIL FROM: coralcalder@rplh.com
  RCPT TO: mail@pyramidetechnologies.com
           info@pyramidetechnologies.com
           home@pyramidetechnologies.com
           guest@pyramidetechnologies.com
  From: "diagonal" <co...@rplh.com>
  To: <ma...@pyramidetechnologies.com>
  Size (in bytes): 16700

^M

Re: My james server got hacked

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
Looks like someone (probably a spammer) has been trying to send mail
to accounts they *think* might connect to people (info@, home@, guest@
etc) James is replying automatically to say "they don't live here".
You might want to switch that off, otherwise its all legitimate,
perhaps a bit scary the first time! Someone tried to send mail to an
address that didn't exist is all.

d.

Re: RemoteDelivery Gateway

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
It is telling you that James won't accept incoming mail from machines
who's IP addresses don't match those patterns, that should have
nothing to do with outgoing mail.

Re: Are you sure? (Was: My james server got hacked)

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Ah - I think Noel mentioned that as well, I'm
definitely checking that out next.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Stefano,

Yes - pyramidetechnologies.com is my domain.

Oh - I think I understand what you are saying.

Someone sends Spam to pyramidetechnologies.com

But the person they are sending to is not here.

So James creates a message and puts it in outgoing, to
let them know that the recipient is invalid.

They block the return message (Probably because my ip
is dynamic) causing James to keep trying to send the
message.

Then mail starts to queue up in outgoing/

I tested this earlier with 10 threads and with only 10
threads outgoing/ keeps trying to send email to
recipients who are rejecting it presumably using all
10 threads, so that other email does not go out.

Great to know I'm not hacked though.  Whooessssh.

I guess I'm just going to have to purchase an
alternate SMPT port or something from my domain name
provider.

Thank you very much for reviewing that,

<14...@workstation.localdomain>^M

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.