Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Dale Peakall <da...@peakall.com> on 2006/05/01 15:30:07 UTC

Log Service Implementation

I have a log service implementation that I'd like to donate.  How should
I go about this?

Thanks.

Dale Peakall.

Re: Log Service Implementation

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Dale Peakall wrote:
>> I have a log service implementation that I'd like to donate.  How
>> should I go about this?
>
> Thanks for the interest.
>
> I guess first of all, give us a link so that people can take a look at
> it. Then after that we can call a vote on accepting it or not. Then we
> would have to deal with the software grant paperwork, etc.
Create a JIRA new feature issue and attach your code to the JIRA using
the attachments feature.

Alex

Re: Log Service Implementation

Posted by Dale Peakall <d....@oclcpica.org>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Dale,
>
> I am planning on calling a vote on your log service contribution
> tomorrow.
Sorry, I've been away on holiday.
> Before I do, I wanted to ask you if there are any licensing/IP issues
> we should be aware of and you are free to contribute the work?
No, the implementation was written by me and has no external dependencies.

> Looking at the source, it looks completely self-contained, but I want
> to make sure before going forward.
>
> Have you submitted any paperwork to Apache (e.g., ICLA, CCLA, or
> Software Grant)? Not a problem, since we can do this after the vote...

I've not submitted any paperwork yet.

--
Dale Peakall.
Senior Developer · OCLC PICA Ltd

Re: Log Service Implementation

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Dale,

I am planning on calling a vote on your log service contribution
tomorrow. Before I do, I wanted to ask you if there are any licensing/IP

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Excellent description...thanks a lot. We should let this gestate for a
while and then we will take action on it.

Thanks again and keep contributing! :-)

-> richard

Posted by Dale Peakall <da...@peakall.com>.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Hello Alex,

Ooops. Sorry for not replying earlier.

Adding OSGi support is on my todo list. However, my current knowledge of
OSGi is only theoretical, so I'd need to experiment with an OSGi container
to test any logging service implementation SLF4J might offer.

I know that is quite non-committal, but does it sound acceptable to you?
How urgent/important is OSGi logging service to you?

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://ceki.blogspot.com/

Re: Log Service Implementation

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ti...@gmail.com>.
On 5/9/06, Timothy Bennett <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Niclas and his crew over at www.ops4j.org have been doing some
> development of a comprehensive OSGi logging implementation with their
> pax-logging project.

More specifically...

http://lists.ops4j.org/pipermail/general/2006q2/000640.html

Re: Log Service Implementation

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.

> FYI...
>
> Niclas and his crew over at www.ops4j.org have been doing some
> development
> of a comprehensive OSGi logging implementation with their pax-logging
> project.

Interesting - thanks, I'll check it out when I get a chance

-- Rob

Re: Log Service Implementation

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ti...@gmail.com>.
On 5/9/06, Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com> wrote:

> The problem we had here was that the OSGi service is so minimal as to be
> almost useless in a real application context - except perhaps just as a
> bootstrapping layer for really basic startup/framework related logging.
> Haven't looked at SLF4J - we're still just a basic LOG4J user on what is
> probably quite an old version by now. Even with very very basic wiring,
> that turned out way better than the standard LogService though - all we
> really created was create:
>
> - a way for bundles to register their own log hierarchies, which they
> could even then configure or have a default set of application-wide
> config settings applied
> - provide a Listener registration approach to allow local bundles to
> register to receive LOG4J events (using pretty standard approach as I
> recall, although it's a long time ago)
> - provide an XMLRPC method for clients to register and pull back
> "categories" of message they are interested in (categories being used in
> the standard LOG4J sense)

FYI...

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
> Adding OSGi support is on my todo list. However, my current knowledge
> of OSGi is only theoretical, so I'd need to experiment with an OSGi
> container to test any logging service implementation SLF4J might offer.
>
> I know that is quite non-committal, but does it sound acceptable to
> you? How urgent/important is OSGi logging service to you?

A long time back we did a quick and dirty LogService impl which I think
is probably still in OBR.

[...]

The point I'm sort of driving to here is that without some extra
thougt/plumbing - I don't think you can really build a real app's loging
on top of just the OSGi standard service alone. It doesn't offer enough
features like config granularity of what gets logged, partitioning of
bundles to either use common or separated logging configs/hierarchies,
facilties for local and remote logging clients to pull log events (or
have them pushed)

-- Rob

Re: Log Service Implementation

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.