Posted to commits@openoffice.apache.org by co...@apache.org on 2012/08/31 23:07:00 UTC

[CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > 2012 June

Space: Apache OpenOffice Community (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS)
Page: 2012 June (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/2012+June)

Added by Kay Schenk:
OpenOffice (was OpenOffice.org)

* OpenOffice entered incubation 2011-06-13

OpenOffice is an open-source, office-document productivity suite providing
six productivity applications based around the OpenDocument Format (ODF).
OpenOffice is released on multiple platforms.  Its localizations support
have supported 110 languages worldwide.

Most Important Items To Address Toward Graduation

  1. Review of distributed articles to ensure compliance with ASF policy
  2. Given the size and scope of OpenOffice, continue work on "community
     readiness" especially with regard to organization and communication style.

We have started preliminary discussion concerning graduation as we would
like to propose graduation within the next month.

Issues for IPMC or ASF Board Awareness

  - Leaks from ooo-private to outside agencies

  Possible leaks of information from the ooo-private email list are
  being investigated. Our first objective is to first establish if and
  how leaks occurred. Once full details are available we will be working
  to address the issue directly. No action is currently required from
  the board and an update will be provided, at the latest, in our next
  report.

Community Development/Outreach  Progress

  Since our last report we have voted in 13 new Committers/PPMC members.

  Since our last report, 2 committer/PPMC members have resigned

  We have improved to act more as a self organized project to address
  and solve project related topics (e.g. forum moderation)

  We were able to initiate transfer of SPI funds formerly earmarked for
  OpenOffice.org to the ASF. However, due to changes in the ASF Fundraising
  chair, this transfer has been postponed. Followup with ASF Fundraising is
  needed to complete this transaction. These funds, as previously discussed,
  will primarily be used for developer travel when needed.

  We accepted an offer from SourceForge to host our older 3.3 version and
  provide client installs of latest release 3.4. This event was accomplished
  after much discussion among members and consultation with mentors.

  Due to heightened interest, we are putting more resources (services,
  volunteers) into translation efforts

  We are more putting effort into addressing trademark and third-party
  distributin requests. Ongoing emphasis as to how to accommodate and track
  these requests is becoming an important concern.

  We are increasing our global reach by recruiting volunteers to help update
  and maintain the large set of native language home pages

  Established various social programming accounts for additional outreach:
  Twitter, Google+, Facebook

  Setup two additional native language mailing lists

Project Development Progress

  Pootle services for the project were established and used. Translation
  services will be ongoing as new contributors for this service join.

  We released Apache OpenOffice 3.4 on May 8, 2012. This release included:
  - Six different client platform install versions in 15 languages
  - Source tarballs in English
  - Software development kit packaging for 5 platforms
  - Language packs for 15 languages
  Over 3 million downloads the first month.
  A summary of downloads for the installs can be found at:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/timeline

  We are currently working on an alternate repository for category-B code
  to comply with graduation requirements

  An SGA was received from IBM for IBM Lotus Symphony. We are now preparing
  to import IBM Symphony changes into the OpenOffice repository. This should
  be complete by the time of the June board meeting.

  We are putting renewed effort into the "user experience". Apache OpenOffice
  is an end-user product, the best quality product and best experience for
  end users is one of our primary goals.

  Testing and implementation of old update service for OpenOffice has been
  accomplished. This service is for older OpenOffice clients to identify
  updates and, optionally, install an update if available.

  Community support forums remain popular with users but registration seems
  to have stabilized. The ooo-users list also is quite active. As Apache
  OpenOffice is a client product, we continue to investigate ways to direct
  users to appropriate support venues.

  Spam issues with the support Forums (reported in March) has been completely
  eradicated from community English forum with new counter measures (new
  users moderation and new moderators).

  A new root admin (imacat) has been promoted and is now taking the job to
  insure smooth running and consistency with infra requirements.

  The developer list, ooo-dev, now has 409 subscribers and is very active
  with post averaging about 100 per day

Signed off by mentor: joes, rgardler

Change your notification preferences: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/users/viewnotifications.action