Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu> on 2017/11/29 03:32:32 UTC

Amazon MQ

Amazon announced today a service called Amazon MQ that allows ActiveMQ 5.x
to be run as a managed service in AWS:
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/amazon-mq-managed-message-broker-service-for-activemq/

Was anyone on this list aware of that effort prior to this announcement?

We should all be aware that there may be additional users coming to
ActiveMQ as a result of this service, who may have minimal experience with
the configuration details of the broker and limited access to detailed
troubleshooting information such as logs and JMX. This may complicate or
delay the eventual sunsetting of 5.x in favor of Artemis; there may be
interest in keeping 5.x alive for longer as a result of its use in this
service.

Tim

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Trevor,

welcome aboard !!

Regards
JB

On 12/11/2017 11:24 PM, trevdyck wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am the product manager for Amazon MQ, and have just joined the list. We
> are excited to support ActiveMQ as it has a vibrant developer community and
> a large existing user base! The folks on this list have developed a great
> product that we are happy to be a part of.
>
> I will also say we did work with many people throughout development, but
> their disclosing so would be a violation of their non-disclosure agreement
> with Amazon, so that might be why you aren't hearing a lot about it on this
> list.
>
> Thanks & best regards,
> Trevor

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Amazon MQ

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Sounds great, we appreciate that.

Re: Amazon MQ

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

On 12/08/2017 10:39 AM, Justin Bertram wrote:
>> You can imagine that such organizations who make tons of investment in
> ActiveMQ are not impressed by claims of 'better architecture' or my
> 'journaling system is faster'.
>
> Do you have a list of what these companies are, in fact, impressed with?  I
> tried to Google for it but it didn't turn up much.
Yes, it's hard to get a list, but you know people talk to each other. I
don't have the 'list' but I have knowledge, like many others here.
Companies don't advertise what technologies they use, when, how or why.
And that is true for commercial software as well. For instance, I can
say this, which may or may not be speculation: would it surprise you to
find out that WalMart uses ActiveMQ 5.x and say, Oracle Database 12c?

At ApacheCon in 2009, Mike (tried hard to remember the last name, but I
bet Bruce can tell you) explained how Sabre was successful with ActiveMQ
with 0 (as in ZERO) downtime. 100% availability. Bruce worked with them.
I cannot find the presentation, but I found this slide 11 in Adrian's
presentation [1]. That mentions the FAA as well, a project I may know a
thing or two about (or not, pure speculation). So, every time you think
and you land safely, think of the traffic controllers and ActiveMQ that
plays a part in that process.

So bottom line, you really need to know what you're looking for to find
something on google, uhm bing.

>> I think it would be good for you to interact more with other parts of RH.
>
> Which parts of Red Hat do I need to interact with more?  Please elaborate.
> I need your help here.
Willing to help and may be able to, but certainly not on this list.

Other thing to elaborate is this. The ASF is not biased towards one
project or another. We want them all to succeed based on their own
merits. That's what ASF members do (or should do, others drop out and
pursue other interests). Also different members have different styles,
something to be mindful of.

There is a narrative going on that some are -1s and stuff like that
which creates distrust and well, doesn't help. You, hear things, see
things, you believe what you want to believe. I will tell you this and I
hope you'll believe it. ASF members are here to help. We try to help all
the projects. If you need help ask for it and you will get it.

To sum it up, think of the power of a 100% uptime in 2.5 years coming
from the Sabre CTO, not some geek, using open source (and in 2009, not
2017). That's what gets a project successful. Bruce is definitely the
guy who can talk more about this. Transitions are also possible and the
names doesn't even matter that much: think MariaDB, Jenkins. It's all
about value.

I'll stop here. Have fun.
Hadrian

> Justin

[1]
https://www.slideshare.net/trenaman/apache-coneu-2009adriantrenamanadoptingopensourceintheenterprise

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 12/08/2017 11:33 AM, Christopher Shannon wrote:
> Have you tried searching with bing?

given the context of the thread maybe it'd be better to ask Alexa ?

--
Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@redhat.com>.

Re: Amazon MQ

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
> This may complicate or
> delay the eventual sunsetting of 5.x in favor of Artemis; there may be
> interest in keeping 5.x alive for longer as a result of its use in this
> service.

no one ever had the intention to discontinue 5.x... (or sunsetting
like you said).

Look for instance at tomcat.. they have 3 active versions... that goes
along with other apache projects doing the same.

If you make ActiveMQ Artemis a better project, other users will
benefit from it.. and users would still be welcome to use ActiveMQ
5.x.