Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org> on 2015/04/20 21:32:46 UTC

Integrating Jackcess with POI?

All,

  With many thanks to Brian O'Neill at Health Market Science and James Ahlborn, Jackcess was relicensed to ASL 2.0.  I received favorable feedback on private@poi when I posed this question a month or so ago.

  What do people think of integrating Jackcess into POI?

              Best,

                          Tim

RE: Integrating Jackcess with POI?

Posted by James Ahlborn <ja...@gmail.com>.
So, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of feedback on this.  Having some time to think about this more on my end, I really think the best idea is to take things slow.  There don’t seem to be any huge, up-front benefits from folding jackcess into poi (but there certainly is some non-trivial effort involved).  It seems like simply adding some “cross-selling” to the respective websites would be a good first step.  This will hopefully lead to more visibility for jackcess within the broader poi community.  If so, and there is more interest expressed from the poi community in the future, we can always re-evaluate closer integration at a later date.  Thoughts?

-james

As it stands, I fear that if you took a Jackcess proposal to the Apache Incubator with only one active developer, it would struggle. It could be worth checking with the experts though, on the general@incubator.a.o<ma...@incubator.a.o> list, to see what they suggest based on their past experiences

Posted by James Ahlborn <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Ahlborn <ja...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

separate jar in the central repository, just in a different group from
where it is now.  if jackcess was listed in the poi documentation alongside
the other modules, wouldn't that effectively achieve the same thing?

i could potentially see the wider pool of potential developers, but that
could be achieved by sharing a repository but still keeping jackcess as a
separate module without all the other changes.  as already mentioned,
there's probably fairly little "common code" overlap.

> As it stands, I fear that if you took a Jackcess proposal to the Apache
> Incubator with only one active developer, it would struggle. It could be
> worth checking with the experts though, on the general@incubator.a.o
> list, to see what they suggest based on their past experiences

sounds like at the end of it, you don't think it'll actually happen anyway!
:)

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Tim,

> So, upon further thought, we propose not integrating Jackcess with POI for now, but we do propose adding links from each other's websites to the other so that users of POI will learn about Jackcess and vice versa.
>

> How does this sound?

I don't mind having links to Jackcess in POI - so +1 from me.
Imho, it's a pity that they've decided otherwise.

I totally respect their decision and I probably would have also other points not to join,
e.g. if I would program for OSS @ work, my main reason not to join would be,
that the namespace is a kind of figurehead for my employer.

> I'd like to share the points from our conversation to elicit public feedback.
Not sure if it makes sense to argue, but here are my two cents:
> 2) We'd have to redesign the maven build process to ant for Jackcess (not hard, I know).
Actually I think this would be the most effort for the beginning.

> 1) From a use standpoint, current users of Jackcess would have to migrate their code (if we changed the namespace)
So the users would have to press ctrl+shift-o in the Eclipse package explorer?

> 4) Further, Jackcess would be tied to POI's release schedule.
Currently we have betas every 2-4 months, depending on the amount of changes.
I think this is reasonable.

> 3) From an integration standpoint ...
ACK.

> 5) ... there is no decrease in learning cost simply because of a change in namespace.
Just because it's not an advantage, this is not automatically a disadvantage of joining poi.

Best wishes,
Andi

RE: Integrating Jackcess with POI?

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
All,

James Ahlborn and I had further discussions on what the actual implementation would require to integrate Jackcess into POI, and we discussed the advantages and potential drawbacks of integrating Jackcess into POI.  I'd like to share the points from our conversation to elicit public feedback.

We see advantages:
1) "It just makes sense" to have one centralized MSOffice parsing library
2)  Increasing public awareness of each other's projects
3) sparking more cross-project, well, inner-project, collaboration among the POI and Jackcess developers.

Some potential disadvantages:
1) From a use standpoint, current users of Jackcess would have to migrate their code (if we changed the namespace)
2) We'd have to redesign the maven build process to ant for Jackcess (not hard, I know).
3) From an integration standpoint, Jackcess doesn't rely on POI at all so there would be no immediate decrease in source code/maintainability; we might find some areas, but we'd have to find them.
4) Further, Jackcess would be tied to POI's release schedule.
5) New users of Jackcess within POI would still have to learn its API whether or not it was within POI or remained as is - there is no decrease in learning cost simply because of a change in namespace.

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015, Allison, Timothy B. wrote:
> With many thanks to Brian O'Neill at Health Market Science and James
> Ahlborn, Jackcess was relicensed to ASL 2.0.  I received favorable
> feedback on private@poi when I posed this question a month or so ago.
>
> What do people think of integrating Jackcess into POI?

It'd be great to be able to add another area of the Microsoft file formats
to POI, so I'd be +1!

Nick

Re: Integrating Jackcess with POI?

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
 +1

Yegor

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Tim,

> What do people think of integrating Jackcess into POI?
same as on private@ ... I'm +1 for it and looking forward to their joining.

Best wishes,
Andi