Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jay 'Whip' Grizzard <el...@lupine.org> on 2002/12/12 19:00:19 UTC

A stupid pre-commit hook question...

Hiho subversion folks ... I've been lurking on the list and using subversion
for a while, and I have to say, I love it -- once I got cvs2svn to work,
I ditched cvs in about 10 seconds flat. Keep up the good work!

Now, a stupid question that I don't believe I've seen addressed yet. In the
pre-commit hook, is it possible to get information about the transaction
being attempted, beyond filename?

Right now I've got a pre-commit hook that keeps my /tags directory
 from being written to ... which is great at preventing mistakes, but
also makes it annoying to add tags and the like (since I have to remove
the hook before committing a 'tag'.)   ... I guess the question is, is
there any way I can set things up so that it's legal to -create- a tag,
but not to perform any further commits to it? I don't see an obvious way
to do this ... can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

-jay

Re: A stupid pre-commit hook question...

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
"Jay 'Whip' Grizzard" <el...@lupine.org> writes:
> Now, a stupid question that I don't believe I've seen addressed yet. In the
> pre-commit hook, is it possible to get information about the transaction
> being attempted, beyond filename?
>
> Right now I've got a pre-commit hook that keeps my /tags directory
>  from being written to ... which is great at preventing mistakes, but
> also makes it annoying to add tags and the like (since I have to remove
> the hook before committing a 'tag'.)   ... I guess the question is, is
> there any way I can set things up so that it's legal to -create- a tag,
> but not to perform any further commits to it? I don't see an obvious way
> to do this ... can someone point me in the right direction?

You should use the `svnlook' program to explore the txn.
Try 'svnlook --help' for more details.