Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Victoria Muntean <vi...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/24 08:01:00 UTC

speed of svn co --depth=empty

Hello friends,

I have svn directory with one 100 mb file and several small files.
I need to make change to one of small files.
Trying to save time, I did:

            svn co --depth=empty svn://host/dir
            svn up dir/smallfile

I'd expect the checkout to be very fast. But it isn't.
The working directory is indeed empty (except .svn) after checkout, as
expected.
But checkout takes same long time as  it would take with 'svn co -N'. Weird.
How can I improve speed of empty checkout ?

The number of files in the directory is very small, around 30. But
there are large
subdirectories under it (I am not checkout out the subdirectories).

Viki

Re: speed of svn co --depth=empty

Posted by Victoria Muntean <vi...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM, B Smith-Mannschott
<bs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:01, Victoria Muntean <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello friends,
>>
>> I have svn directory with one 100 mb file and several small files.
>> I need to make change to one of small files.
>> Trying to save time, I did:
>>
>>            svn co --depth=empty svn://host/dir
>>            svn up dir/smallfile
>>
>> I'd expect the checkout to be very fast. But it isn't.
>> The working directory is indeed empty (except .svn) after checkout, as
>> expected.
>> But checkout takes same long time as  it would take with 'svn co -N'. Weird.
>> How can I improve speed of empty checkout ?
>>
>> The number of files in the directory is very small, around 30. But
>> there are large
>> subdirectories under it (I am not checkout out the subdirectories).
>
> The FAQ contains an entry on sparse checkouts [1], which notes:
>
> # The new --depth feature naturally requires the client to be 1.5+, and
> # will work most efficiently if the server is also 1.5+. However, the
> # client will still behave correctly if the server is 1.4.x or lower;
> # things will just be less efficient.
>
> # This is because older servers do not understand — and therefore
> # ignore — what the client tells them about "depth". So when a client
> # requests a depth shallower than depth-infinity, older servers will
> # send back more data than the client wants. However, a 1.5+ client
> # will know it's talking to an older server and filter out this extra
> # data. Thus, operations may take a while, because the server sends a
> # lot of data over the network that the client then ignores, but the
> # final result on the client side will be the same. (Note that older
> # servers understand a recurse flag in the network protocols, and 1.5+
> # clients send that flag based on the depth; this alleviates some of
> # the extra network traffic penalty.)
>
> [1]: http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html#sparse-checkouts
>
> You didn't mention what version your server is, but I suspect from
> your description that your server hasn't been upgraded to 1.5 (or later).
> Is this the case?

Right, the server is old.

Re: speed of svn co --depth=empty

Posted by "B. Smith-Mannschott" <bs...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:01, Victoria Muntean <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I have svn directory with one 100 mb file and several small files.
> I need to make change to one of small files.
> Trying to save time, I did:
>
>            svn co --depth=empty svn://host/dir
>            svn up dir/smallfile
>
> I'd expect the checkout to be very fast. But it isn't.
> The working directory is indeed empty (except .svn) after checkout, as
> expected.
> But checkout takes same long time as  it would take with 'svn co -N'. Weird.
> How can I improve speed of empty checkout ?
>
> The number of files in the directory is very small, around 30. But
> there are large
> subdirectories under it (I am not checkout out the subdirectories).

The FAQ contains an entry on sparse checkouts [1], which notes:

# The new --depth feature naturally requires the client to be 1.5+, and
# will work most efficiently if the server is also 1.5+. However, the
# client will still behave correctly if the server is 1.4.x or lower;
# things will just be less efficient.

# This is because older servers do not understand — and therefore
# ignore — what the client tells them about "depth". So when a client
# requests a depth shallower than depth-infinity, older servers will
# send back more data than the client wants. However, a 1.5+ client
# will know it's talking to an older server and filter out this extra
# data. Thus, operations may take a while, because the server sends a
# lot of data over the network that the client then ignores, but the
# final result on the client side will be the same. (Note that older
# servers understand a recurse flag in the network protocols, and 1.5+
# clients send that flag based on the depth; this alleviates some of
# the extra network traffic penalty.)

[1]: http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html#sparse-checkouts

You didn't mention what version your server is, but I suspect from
your description that your server hasn't been upgraded to 1.5 (or later).
Is this the case?

// Ben