Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Andrea Fonti <an...@altecspace.it> on 2015/05/18 18:52:57 UTC

Questions about OODT (with a bit of airavata)

Hi

I'm currently evaluating available batch processing frameworks and data

products curation frameworks, as a company we plan to build our system on
open

source technologies but we are facing difficulties in selecting the

technologies stack because all evaluated projects seem to be immature

or lacking documentation.

We are currently evaluating Apache OODT and Apache Airavata, i would like

to ask these questions:

1 - How is OODT employed in SMAP?

2 - Is it possible  request support or access to documentation related to

oodt as early adopters of the SMAP data products?

3 - How is Airavata related to OODT ( they seem to be close in
capabilities)?

4 - Which project has the widest user base?

5 - Both seem to be lacking a consistent documentation source (about usage

and development) is there an end user focused documentation source?

(the only documentation in the confluence apache wiki seems to be

related to internal development and seems really outdated)

6 - Are you aware of public services built on airavata or oodt?

7 - Are these framework production ready?

9 - Are there any management tools?

Thanks for your time and your experience.

Best regards

Andrea Fonti

---- ALTEC S.p.A. ----

COMUNICAZIONE IMPORTANTE
La presente email � destinata solo al/i destinatario/i sopra indicato/i.
Pu� riguardare un messaggio confidenziale e contenere informazioni e dati di
natura RISERVATA O CLASSIFICATA. Non � consentita la sua lettura indebita,
la sua duplicazione o la sua divulgazione. Le opinioni dell'autore di questa
email non sono  necessariamente le opinioni di ALTEC S.p.A.
Nulla di quanto contenuto in questa email pu� sostituire un contratto
ovvero una obbligazione vincolante per ALTEC S.p.A.
Nel caso doveste ricevere la presente email per errore, siete
cortesemente pregati di distruggere la Vostra copia e di contattarci
telefonicamente o a mezzo email o facsimile. Grazie.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
This email is intended only for the use of the above mentioned addressee(s).
It is confidential and may contain legally PRIVILEGED OR CLASSIFIED
information and data. Unauthorized reading, copying, disclosure or use is
strictly prohibited. The views of the author hereof may not necessarily
constitute the views of ALTEC S.p.A.
Nothing in this email shall bind ALTEC S.p.A. in any contract or obligation.
If you received this email/facsimile through an error, please destroy your
copy and telephone or email/fax us immediately. Thank you.

Re: Questions about OODT (with a bit of airavata)

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@meteorite.bi>.

6) There are a bunch of JPL websites built on OODT for example:
http://snow.jpl.nasa.gov/portal/ (look at the footer)

7) OODT has been used in production on a lot of large scale projects by
NASA and affiliates for years, and very much before it migrated to the ASF,
so yes OODT is production ready. DARPA Memex for one use it currently,
along with NASA projects internally.

I'm not sure what happened to 8 so we'll skip it.

9) OODT is a toolkit as opposed to a ready built system, you've seen OpsUI
and Cas Curator, thats about as wild as it gets, you can extend upon them
or write your own.

Tom

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Andrea Fonti <an...@altecspace.it>
wrote:

> Hi Cynthia,
>
> Thank you for your help (it is precious).
>
> Yes, the company I work for is an early adopter of SMAP data product,
> please
> let me know if
> by any chance you can share SMAP SDS OODT related documentation.
>
> We created two docker container flavours (oodt and wings over oodt)
>
> https://github.com/andrea-rockt/dockerfiles
>
> but I'm a bit stuck because oodt  is presented more like a software
> architecture ( as stated in the available docs)
> and discoverability of features is low if you have not grasped CAS concepts
> beforehand.
>
> Regards,
> Andrea

of the code development focus around extensions, policies, and interfaces to
PGEs.

Posted by "Wong, Cynthia L (398G)" <cy...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi, Andrea,