Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by BoD <Bo...@JRAF.org> on 2006/11/15 11:00:01 UTC

Axiom, ADB, XMLBeans, JiBX: how to choose?

Hi!

I'm trying to start using Axis2 for the first time, and going through
the Quick Start Guide, I see several options to create a service, and a
client, namely the possibility to choose Axiom, ADB, XMLBeans or JiBX.
Unfortunatelly the documentation doesn't seem to explain the differences
between these possible choices (or maybe I missed it?).
It seems to me that the Axiom way doesn't generate anything, it's an
API. But what about the other choices? What are the pros/cons of each model?

Thank you very much for your help.

BoD

Re: Axiom, ADB, XMLBeans, JiBX: how to choose?

Posted by BoD <Bo...@JRAF.org>.
Thank you very much everybody for your answers, it's clearer now!

BoD

Dennis Sosnoski a écrit :
> As Jhan suggested, XMLBeans has the best schema support of any of the
> frameworks ("all" is a very big claim to make regarding schema, since
> there are still disputes over what the specification means in some
> areas, but certainly XMLBeans comes about as close as anything does).
> ADB and JiBX each have some areas where they don't support schema
> correctly. In the JiBX case, the most important one is probably the lack
> of support for xsi:type (used for one form of polymorphism in schema
> documents).

[...]

Re: Axiom, ADB, XMLBeans, JiBX: how to choose?

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
As Jhan suggested, XMLBeans has the best schema support of any of the
frameworks ("all" is a very big claim to make regarding schema, since
there are still disputes over what the specification means in some
areas, but certainly XMLBeans comes about as close as anything does).
ADB and JiBX each have some areas where they don't support schema
correctly. In the JiBX case, the most important one is probably the lack
of support for xsi:type (used for one form of polymorphism in schema
documents).

JiBX is the only data binding framework which currently offers full
support for "unwrapping" operations in Axis2. The Quick Start Guide
(http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_1/quickstartguide.html) gives a very
simple example of using this - if you compare the JiBX client and server
code with the other examples you'll see how unwrapping simplifies usage.
This simple example doesn't use a binding definition, since it's dealing
only with a couple of primitive types that have default handling, but in
general you'll need a binding definition to tell JiBX how to convert
your Java objects to and from XML. JiBX does provide primitive tools for
generating code and bindings from schema, and binding and schema from
code, but generally you're going to need to work with the binding
definition as the basis of anything you do using JiBX. You can see
http://www.jibx.org for details on JiBX, and
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_1/jibx/jibx-codegen-integration.html (also
included in the Axis2 documentation download) for details on how to use
JiBX with Axis2.

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA, Web Services, and XML