Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Andrea Spina <an...@radicalbit.io> on 2019/03/18 12:23:52 UTC

Re: Flink 1.7.2: All jobs are getting deployed on the same task manager

Hi everybody. We're currently experimenting the same characteristic on
flink-1.6.2.

I've been reading that Flink treats all the slot as equals, it doesn't even
know where these slots reside
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54980104/uneven-assignment-of-tasks-to-workers-in-flink.

So it should not be an issue; thus, the fact that it runs all the slots of
a machine before moving to a new one should be just a rough coincidence.

Given that, I'm pretty sure that I've never been recording this feature
using previous majors (I recall flink-1.3 for sure).
Moreover, this is damaging because you can get resources exhausted (e.g.
memory, disk).

Hope we might find a solution on this.
Sincerely,

Andrea

--
*Andrea Spina*
Software Engineer @ Radicalbit Srl

Re: Re: Flink 1.7.2: All jobs are getting deployed on the same task manager

Posted by Andrey Zagrebin <an...@ververica.com>.
Hi Kumar and Andrea,

this is a known change in Flink behaviour from 1.4 to 1.5 (after FLIP-6).
There is an issue to track progress on more fine-grained task distribution
[1].

Best,
Andrey

Posted by "Kumar Bolar, Harshith" <hk...@arity.com>.

From: Andrea Spina <an...@radicalbit.io>
Date: Monday, 18 March 2019 at 5:54 PM
To: Harshith Kumar Bolar <hk...@arity.com>
Cc: user <us...@flink.apache.org>
Subject: [External] Re: Flink 1.7.2: All jobs are getting deployed on the same task manager

Hi everybody. We're currently experimenting the same characteristic on flink-1.6.2.

I've been reading that Flink treats all the slot as equals, it doesn't even know where these slots reside https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54980104/uneven-assignment-of-tasks-to-workers-in-flink<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__stackoverflow.com_questions_54980104_uneven-2Dassignment-2Dof-2Dtasks-2Dto-2Dworkers-2Din-2Dflink&d=DwMFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=61bFb6zUNKZxlAQDRo_jKA&m=x7Ae5P9d7Ni3EkdbM3aw6gaRzqYcCoFlSAmXCz-8n-A&s=mLWGWKLiWiUyx1n_16tJQt3E3iAbaoi4GMH40WordpA&e=>.