Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> on 2016/02/26 00:22:33 UTC

Do we have any "beginner-friendly" tasks / todos / bugs?

Hi All

For those who haven't heard the announcement, a week or two ago the Apache
Community Development project[1] launched "Help Wanted"
 	https://helpwanted.apache.org/

The idea is to make it easy to match up people interested in contributing
somewhere to Apache, to projects that need their help

Now, you may ask, who are these people able to code but without their own
project-specific "itch" to scratch? On the whole, they're students, but
there are some people who use Open Source at work but aren't allowed to
contribute back in the day + to work-related projects at night, who are
still keen to give back. Either way, it's a fair sized pool of potential
new volunteers and helpers :)

So, that leads to the question - do we have any "beginner-friendly" tasks
/ todos / bugs? (Small-ish ones, this isn't for GSOC-sized tasks)

If so....

Committers - please head to https://helpwanted.apache.org/admin/ and list
a brief description of it plus a link to the bugzilla bug for it

Non-Committers - please reply to this email, with a brief description of
it plus a link to the bugzilla bug, and one of us will post it for you

This is a good chance to get your favourite small bug / issue / niggle /
example sorted/written/fixed, so dive in! :)

Nick

[1] https://community.apache.org

Re: Do we have any "beginner-friendly" tasks / todos / bugs?

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016, Dominik Stadler wrote:
> I also tried to add the widget to the "contribute" section on our landing
> page poi.a.o, but I couldn't find a way to convince Apache Forrest to
> verbatim include the piece of HTML from
> https://helpwanted.apache.org/wtest.html

This should now be sorted - use the new <helpwanted/> tag in the forrest
source document and it'll get rendered through. I've used it in a slightly
re-done contributing page, and on the homepage. Feel free to tweak as you
see fit!

Nick

Re: Do we have any "beginner-friendly" tasks / todos / bugs?

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
I added two tasks for working on the Visio support.

I also tried to add the widget to the "contribute" section on our landing
page poi.a.o, but I couldn't find a way to convince Apache Forrest to
verbatim include the piece of HTML from
https://helpwanted.apache.org/wtest.html

The only option I saw would be to read the javascript from
https://helpwanted.apache.org/tasks.lua?project=poi during running the
site-publish and incorporate the information from there...

Dominik.