Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> on 2012/06/13 12:11:49 UTC

Re: Web Console multiline input/state of Wicket-based console

Am Thursday, 31. May 2012 schrieb Felix Meschberger:
> Hi Oliver,

hello Felix,

thanks for your answer.

> Am 30.05.2012 um 14:32 schrieb Oliver Lietz:
> > hello all,
> >
> > is it possible to input multiline String values in Web Console
> > Configuration somehow? If not, is it enough to patch config.js?
>
> Currently we don't support multiline fields because we just have "String"
> propery type and it is not easy to find out whether single-line or
> multi-line content should be filled.
>
> I could imagine improving this situation with a dynanic client-side
> approach (yes, config.js is the right file to hack, particularly the
> createInput function): If the fields exceeds a certain number of
> characters the text input is converted into a textarea. Likewise if the
> user hits "enter" and likewise if the string already exceeds a certain
> size or contains CR/LF a text area is created upfront.

I'm working on a configurable UrlRewriteFilter
(http://www.tuckey.org/urlrewrite/) and the filter takes its rewrite rules
from a multiline string (modRewriteConfText). Not sure whether using textarea
or a multivalue property which gets merged into a multiline string makes more
sense, yet.
Is there a reason not to use a single row textarea (rows="1") by default?

> > What is the state of Wicket-based console? Is it dead?
>
> I don't know of any Wicket-based console .... The goal of the web console
> is really to be as light-weight as to be able to operate in limited
> resources environments. So light-weight not only means KB but also Java
> API requirements.

Should have asked this on the Karaf list...
http://karaf.apache.org/index/subprojects/webconsole.html

I'm fine with the Web Console as it is, but would like start hacking on the
"latest" one. (I'm on Karaf/Sling)

O.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi Oliver

Am 13.06.2012 um 06:11 schrieb Oliver Lietz:

> Am Thursday, 31. May 2012 schrieb Felix Meschberger:
>> Hi Oliver,
>
> hello Felix,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
>> Am 30.05.2012 um 14:32 schrieb Oliver Lietz:
>>> hello all,
>>>
>>> is it possible to input multiline String values in Web Console
>>> Configuration somehow? If not, is it enough to patch config.js?
>>
>> Currently we don't support multiline fields because we just have "String"
>> propery type and it is not easy to find out whether single-line or
>> multi-line content should be filled.
>>
>> I could imagine improving this situation with a dynanic client-side
>> approach (yes, config.js is the right file to hack, particularly the
>> createInput function): If the fields exceeds a certain number of
>> characters the text input is converted into a textarea. Likewise if the
>> user hits "enter" and likewise if the string already exceeds a certain
>> size or contains CR/LF a text area is created upfront.
>
> I'm working on a configurable UrlRewriteFilter
> (http://www.tuckey.org/urlrewrite/) and the filter takes its rewrite rules
> from a multiline string (modRewriteConfText). Not sure whether using textarea
> or a multivalue property which gets merged into a multiline string makes more
> sense, yet.
> Is there a reason not to use a single row textarea (rows="1") by default?

No ;-)

Never treally thought of this. But this could be a way to the solution. Something like:

  * textarea always
  * if value contains CR/LF:
        * as many rows as CR/LF
        * unless there are more than say 5 CR/LF
  * add keyboard event ensuring rows > 1 when
      user hits return

>>> What is the state of Wicket-based console? Is it dead?
>>
>> I don't know of any Wicket-based console .... The goal of the web console
>> is really to be as light-weight as to be able to operate in limited
>> resources environments. So light-weight not only means KB but also Java
>> API requirements.
>
> Should have asked this on the Karaf list...
> http://karaf.apache.org/index/subprojects/webconsole.html
>
> I'm fine with the Web Console as it is, but would like start hacking on the
> "latest" one. (I'm on Karaf/Sling)

Sure, welcome ;-)

Regards
Felix