Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by sbelt <sb...@zeroton.com> on 2002/01/02 21:46:17 UTC

Unable to execute Torque (outside of Turbine) test application

Might someone be able to help?

I am trying to create an application (called ndbTest) starting with Torque.
I have been able to create my database (named ndb_torque) using the scripts
created by Torque. Torque has also created my peer classes and compiled them
successfully. I am now trying to run a simple app to test what I have done
so far.

My problem is that when I reache the .save( ) command in my test app, I get:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.rollBackTransaction(BasePeer.java:375)
    at com.zeroton.ndb.om.BaseAcl.save(BaseAcl.java:1004)
    at com.zeroton.ndb.om.BaseAcl.save(BaseAcl.java:983)
    at com.zeroton.ndb.ndbTest.main(ndbTest.java:29)

Any ideas on how I can begin to track down my issue(s)?

Background:
1) I am using the following information as my guide:

http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg03639.html

2) I have created a properties file named /developer/torque/ndb.properties
making slight modifications to use     Postgresql instead of mysql - namely:
        - I have modified the driver name to be org.postgresql.Driver,
        - the URL to be jdbc://localhost:5432/ndb_test
        - the username and password have also been set
        - I have modified the log4j settings to create a file name
ndbTest.log

3) The schema.xml used the following to define the table I am trying to
uypdate:
        <column name="x1"
            javaName="AclId"
            primaryKey="true"
            required="true"
            autoIncrement="true"
            type="BIGINT"  <!-- db.props defines BIGINT to be int4 -->
         </column>
        <column name="x2"
            javaName="ReadList"
            primaryKey="false"
            required="false"
            autoIncrement="false"
            size="1024"
            type="VARCHAR"  <!-- db.props defines BIGINT to be int4 -->
         </column>

4) My code is as follows:

import com.zeroton.ndb.om.*;
import org.apache.torque.Torque;
import org.apache.torque.Torque;

public class ndbTest
{
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
        try
        {
            //Initialize torque
            Torque.init("/developer/torque/ndb.properties");

            //Create an ACL entry
            Acl refAcl = new Acl();
            //Set one of the fields
            refAcl.setReadList("ALL");
            //Save it
            refAcl.save();                 <!-- **** this is the line that
is giving the error -->

... catch exceptions then loop/print table contents ...

In the ndbTest.log file, the only Warning I see is the idBroker string
reporting that it is connected to a database that does not support
transactions. Since I am not using idBroker for my indexes, I did not think
this should concern me (?).

TIA,

Steve B.

Re: Unable to execute Torque (outside of Turbine) test application

Posted by sbelt <sb...@velos.com>.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Meanwhile, I got around it by cheating - I hardcoded my template by
commenting out (line-103):
         tMap.setPrimaryKeyMethodInfo("$table.SequenceName");
and replaced it with:
        tMap.setPrimaryKeyMethodInfo("${table.Name}_x1_seq");

I could get away with this because I named the first column in each table
x1!

I'm sure this will come back to haunt me...another of those
job-security-implementations perhaps ;) But at least I can now get on with
business. Bottom line is I now have code that will work with my Postgresql
database, and a likelihood to work with other databases as well.

Thanks to all who helped me over the past few days!

Steve B.

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.

More info - Re: Some newbie Turbine questions

Posted by Jack Axaopoulos <ja...@cisco.com>.
So as not to confuse you anymore...

I'm also using my own session validator which
doesnt require any kind of login.

public boolean requiresNewSession(org.apache.turbine.util.RunData data) {
	return false;
}

Thanks...

Some newbie Turbine questions

Posted by Jack Axaopoulos <ja...@cisco.com>.
I'm currently learning to use Turbine & Velocity, and have
a fewof questions.

What is the easiest way to get your application
	to serve up a default page, layout, navigation and screen as
	the starting point to your web app?
	Suppose your URL looks like this <non-tomcat servlet engine path
stuff>/turbine

	What I did to accomplish this is to set the following in my
	turbine properties file:

page.default = CCFDefaultPage
services.VelocityService.default.page = VelocityPage
services.VelocityService.default.layout = VelocityOnlyLayout
services.VelocityService.default.navigation=VelocityNavigation
services.VelocityService.default.error.screen = VelocityErrorScreen

services.VelocityService.default.layout.template = /CCFSampleLayout.vm

In the Class CCFDefaultPage I coded the following:
public void doBuild(org.apache.turbine.util.RunData data) throws Exception {

   data.setScreen("CCFDefaultScreen");
   data.setLayout("VelocityOnlyLayout");

     super.doBuild(data);
}

This setup works for getting the layout, navigation and screen shown
as the initial page which I want.
But I SUSPECT there is a much easier way to do this.

Is there anyway I can set a default template .vm file to show up
without having to write the CCFDefaultPage class which explicitly
calls setScreen()  ???

Also...if I don't execute "data.setLayout("VelocityOnlyLayout");" in the
doBuild method
I get built in DefaultTopNavigation and DefaultBottomNavigation classes
executing instead of the CCFSampleLayout.vm.
template being used.   Is this right?

Thanks...

More questions later.

Re: Unable to execute Torque (outside of Turbine) test application

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.