Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/25 03:50:47 UTC

[m2] Command-Line Update Options

All the announcements for new plugin versions contained instructions
that running with the -U flag would update the plugin version if it
was unspecified.  Is that correct?  If it is, then I think the results
of mvn --help are misleading:

 -up,--update-plugins          Synonym for cpu
 -U,--update-snapshots         Update all snapshots regardless of
                               repository policies
 -cpu,--check-plugin-updates   Force upToDate check for any relevant
                               registered plugins

Shouldn't -U have to do with SNAPSHOT dependencies, while -up or -cpu
should be the option for getting the latest released version of a
plugin?

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Re: [m2] Command-Line Update Options

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
It is misleading. The -up/cpu options pertain to the plugin registry
which is disabled by default in 2.0 due to a number of issues with its
use.

-U actually applies to both snapshots and releases (metadata).

If you'd like to suggest alternate wording, we'd be happy to receive it in JIRA.

Thanks,
Brett