Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by decoder <de...@own-hero.net> on 2006/08/17 17:48:32 UTC

FuzzyOcr mailing list

Re: FuzzyOcr mailing list

Posted by "Expertsites, Inc." <sp...@expertsites.com>.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Allen" <jo...@barumtrading.co.uk>
To: <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: FuzzyOcr mailing list

> Chris wrote:
>> because I feel that the spamassassin mailing list shouldn't be
>> spammed/bothered with further help requests to install FuzzyOcr or to
>> solve problems with it, I created a mailing list for it (and possibly
>> other small tools that I write). It will definetly be a low traffic
>> list (especially when I am studying again and having less time to work
>> on these things), but I will make regular announcements when new
>> versions are there without annoying the main mailing list and people
>> that don't want to know about it ;). It should also serve as a place
>> to think about new methods/technologies to detect spam (in conjuction
>> with SA or without it) and so on.
>
> I am sorry to see this.  I don't think the FuzzyOCR traffic was that
> high, but *MOST* of all, if this had been discussed only at the new
> list, I wouldn't have found it and been able to install it.
>
> My vote, for what it's worth, is to keep it all here ...
>
> Jonathan

I agree!  Regardless, I did subscribe to the new list.

Tom Green
--
Expertsites, Inc.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Jonathan Allen" <jo...@barumtrading.co.uk>

> Chris wrote:
>> because I feel that the spamassassin mailing list shouldn't be
>> spammed/bothered with further help requests to install FuzzyOcr or to
>> solve problems with it, I created a mailing list for it (and possibly
>> other small tools that I write). It will definetly be a low traffic
>> list (especially when I am studying again and having less time to work
>> on these things), but I will make regular announcements when new
>> versions are there without annoying the main mailing list and people
>> that don't want to know about it ;). It should also serve as a place
>> to think about new methods/technologies to detect spam (in conjuction
>> with SA or without it) and so on.
>
> I am sorry to see this.  I don't think the FuzzyOCR traffic was that
> high, but *MOST* of all, if this had been discussed only at the new
> list, I wouldn't have found it and been able to install it.
>
> My vote, for what it's worth, is to keep it all here ...

I'd vote that way, too. The extra exposure will do it some good.
{^_^}

Re: FuzzyOcr mailing list

Posted by Jonathan Allen <jo...@barumtrading.co.uk>.
Chris,

> I just felt like I am annoying some people here that aren't
> interested in this because more and more people keep writing to the
> mailing list about it with, sometimes, trivial problems or requests,

I have learned several other things in the process, so I felt that the
whole experience had been worthwhile.  I certainly wasn't upset about
people askign questions - like I had to do myself some while ago ...

> I thought it might be better to do at least the support stuff
> somewhere else. I can still send an email to the list if there is a
> new version available, if the people here don't mind that...

I'd still keep it all here, myself.  You'll still get lots of questions
here anyway, from people who don't know about your list, so I'm not sure
what benefit there will be to moving to a new list.

Sending a new-version message here would be mandatory !

Jonathan

Re: FuzzyOcr mailing list

Posted by decoder <de...@own-hero.net>.

Re: FuzzyOcr mailing list

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Jonathan Allen wrote:

> I am sorry to see this.  I don't think the FuzzyOCR traffic was that
> high, but *MOST* of all, if this had been discussed only at the new
> list, I wouldn't have found it and been able to install it.
>
> My vote, for what it's worth, is to keep it all here ...

+1

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org