Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/07 13:21:56 UTC

Is .ruby-version still needed?

The file .ruby-version is mentioned in MACOS.md in relation to rbenv.

However the contents are 2.4.1, having previously been 2.5.5.
Both seem seriously out of date, so it looks like the file is not needed.

Sebb

Re: Is .ruby-version still needed?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I don’t know enough about different versions of ruby to recommend which one to use. Whatever version we use in production would make sense here.

Matt Sicker

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 7, 2021, at 4:27 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 at 00:18, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>>> OK I can delete the file, but what changes are needed to MACOS.md?
>>
>> Recommendation: delete the file, add .ruby-version to .git-ignore, and
>
> Will do.
>
>> leave MACOS.md alone.
>
> The file then does not make sense, as it says:
>
> "To use this globally when invoked through rbenv shims,
> you can use `rbenv global $VERSION` to set that where
> `$VERSION` is the version in `/srv/whimsy/.ruby-version`."
>
> Anyone reading that will wonder where the file is.
>
>> Those that need it in the future, can create it, but there is no need
>> to commit such files at this time.
>
> Agreed, but I think the docs still need adjusting

You could just add a statement the file is outdated and should be updated once a macOS / Whimsy user cares to do so.

Best Regards,
Dave

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.