Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ezra Epstein <ee...@prajnait.com> on 2004/02/11 05:17:46 UTC

Any chance of seeing a Tapestry forum site?

Any chance of setting up a forum site for tapestry, a la
http://forum.hibernate.org   I've found it has some advantages over a
mailing list... and is very easy to set-up.

== Ezra E

Re: Any chance of seeing a Tapestry forum site?

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
At 05:44 PM 11/02/2004, you wrote:
>>Any chance of setting up a forum site for tapestry, a la
>>http://forum.hibernate.org   I've found it has some advantages over a
>>mailing list... and is very easy to set-up.
>
>What are the advantages?
>
>The Apache/Jakarta way is to keep all communications on the mailing list
>so that things stay centralized.  If such a forum was set up, it would be
>"unofficial".

The other reason Apache tends to use mailing lists is that it works well
when you don't have a net connection.

You could try gmane.

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

the whole year's postings (was: Any chance of seeing a Tapestry forum site?)

Posted by Bryan Lewis <br...@maine.rr.com>.
I find searching in GMane to be fairly awkward.  (Hmmm... on retrying it
I find that it's better than I thought. It supports multiple-word
searches now... maybe I wasn't doing it correctly before.)  Anyway, for
what it's worth...

Here's a way to search the archive with your favorite editor.  The GMane
docs show how to download the articles into a unix mbox file -- that is,
good old searchable plain text.  For example, this URL:
http : // download.gmane.org /gmane.comp.java.tapestry.user/6600/6610
will download articles 6600-6610.

As an experiment I tried to download the entire contents (a year's
worth) by specifying article numbers 1/6649, but it took too long... the
end of the file says "Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded".
The GMane docs say they don't want people abusing this capability.  (I
inserted spaces in the above url to keep people from clicking it before
reading on.)

I pieced together the year's contents into a 30-meg text file. In case
anyone else wants it, I've zipped it (5 megs) and placed it at
www.bryanlewis.com/tapestry-user-Feb03-Feb04.zip

Re: Any chance of seeing a Tapestry forum site?

Posted by Patrick Whalen <pa...@mac.com>.
That would be super.

I personally dig the forum format, and I'm sure there are many others
who would find it useful.

PHPBB was extremely easy to set up and get running. After I created the
database at my hosting provider's site, it was really just minutes
before I was able to create the forums.

patrick

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Patrick Whalen <pa...@mac.com>.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
Hm. I could look into hosting a PHP solution at howardlewisship.com.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Posted by Ezra Epstein <ee...@prajnait.com>.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Ezra Epstein <ee...@prajnait.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 10, 2004, at 11:17 PM, Ezra Epstein wrote:
> Any chance of setting up a forum site for tapestry, a la
> http://forum.hibernate.org   I've found it has some advantages over a
> mailing list... and is very easy to set-up.

What are the advantages?

The Apache/Jakarta way is to keep all communications on the mailing
list so that things stay centralized.  If such a forum was set up, it
would be "unofficial".

	Erik