Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Cooper <tc...@fnb.co.za> on 2009/04/24 08:47:46 UTC

Load balancing and sticky sessions

Hi all,

I have two servers, each running 5 instances of Tomcat and apache. I
need to do load balancing between them with sticky sessions. The load
balancing seems to work but not the sticky sessions. I am using mod_ajp.
I see that mod_jk is recommended but that means modifying the tomcat
configs.

If I use a compiled version of Apache it works, but if I use the Apache
rpm it fails. I have copied the config files and made the necessary
modifications but no luck. Any ideas here? It has to be something with
the Apache package, but what?

Regards,

To read FirstRand Bank's Disclaimer for this email click on the following address or copy into your Internet browser:
https://www.fnb.co.za/disclaimer.html

firstrandbankdisclaimer@fnb.co.za and we will send you a copy of the Disclaimer.

Re: Load balancing and sticky sessions

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 24.04.2009 09:29, Tom Cooper wrote:
> Ben Stringer wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have two servers, each running 5 instances of Tomcat and apache. I
>>> need to do load balancing between them with sticky sessions. The load
>>> balancing seems to work but not the sticky sessions. I am using mod_ajp.
>>> I see that mod_jk is recommended but that means modifying the tomcat
>>> configs.
>>>
>>> If I use a compiled version of Apache it works, but if I use the Apache
>>> rpm it fails. I have copied the config files and made the necessary
>>> modifications but no luck. Any ideas here? It has to be something with
>>> the Apache package, but what?
>>>

>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> What O/S are you running (Centos, RHEL, Fedora ?) and what version of
>> Tomcat and httpd server? It is certainly possible (and relatively
>> easy) to
>> use the RPMs supplied by Redhat to get RHEL Apache httpd talking to
>> Tomcat
>> via mod_jk.
>>
>> Can you also post your workers.properties files, to allow some diagnosis
>> of your sticky sessions issue.
>>
> I am running RHEL, apache2.2.3, tomcat6. I am trying to use mod_proxy_ajp.

If you want to use mod_proxy_ajp and mod_proxy_balancer, you should use
a relatively recent version of httpd 2.2.x. 2.2.0 was the first version
containing the two modules, and there has been much improvements during
the later minor versions. This could also be the reason, why a
self-compiled httpd might have worked, but not your RHEL one (although
it's more likely, that you might have not used exactly the same
configuration).

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Load balancing and sticky sessions

Posted by Tom Cooper <tc...@fnb.co.za>.
Ben Stringer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have two servers, each running 5 instances of Tomcat and apache. I
>> need to do load balancing between them with sticky sessions. The load
>> balancing seems to work but not the sticky sessions. I am using mod_ajp.
>> I see that mod_jk is recommended but that means modifying the tomcat
>> configs.
>>
>> If I use a compiled version of Apache it works, but if I use the Apache
>> rpm it fails. I have copied the config files and made the necessary
>> modifications but no luck. Any ideas here? It has to be something with
>> the Apache package, but what?
>>

> Hi Tom,
>
> What O/S are you running (Centos, RHEL, Fedora ?) and what version of
> Tomcat and httpd server? It is certainly possible (and relatively easy) to
> use the RPMs supplied by Redhat to get RHEL Apache httpd talking to Tomcat
> via mod_jk.
>
> Can you also post your workers.properties files, to allow some diagnosis
> of your sticky sessions issue.

I am running RHEL, apache2.2.3, tomcat6. I am trying to use mod_proxy_ajp.

Regards,

Tom

Posted by Ben Stringer <be...@burbong.com>.
> Hi all,
>
> I have two servers, each running 5 instances of Tomcat and apache. I
> need to do load balancing between them with sticky sessions. The load
> balancing seems to work but not the sticky sessions. I am using mod_ajp.
> I see that mod_jk is recommended but that means modifying the tomcat
> configs.
>
> If I use a compiled version of Apache it works, but if I use the Apache
> rpm it fails. I have copied the config files and made the necessary
> modifications but no luck. Any ideas here? It has to be something with
> the Apache package, but what?

Hi Tom,

What O/S are you running (Centos, RHEL, Fedora ?) and what version of
Tomcat and httpd server? It is certainly possible (and relatively easy) to
use the RPMs supplied by Redhat to get RHEL Apache httpd talking to Tomcat
via mod_jk.

Can you also post your workers.properties files, to allow some diagnosis
of your sticky sessions issue.

Cheers, Ben