Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Nikita Ivanov <ni...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/24 19:04:10 UTC

IGNITE-775

Thoughts on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-775

After thinking about this ticket for a while I think the best way is to
re-use GridGain backend infrastructure (with necessary fixes) to capture
the information if there is a new release of Ignite (to save time and not
to re-invent the wheel). I'm pretty sure GridGain should be OK with that
reuse.

In the same time I think we need to put a JavaScript tunnel on Apache
Ignite website so that Ignite community would have a full control over this
process. Apache Ignite should communicate only with Apache Ignite website
to check for a new version update (which can use GridGain's existing
backend as a simple REST service).

This way we:
a) fix the current problem of confusing notifications
b) community regains full point-to-point control of the process
c) Get to reuse the existing backend as a service.

Thoughts, feedback?
--
Nikita Ivanov

Re: IGNITE-775

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I have replied on the JIRA (which I linked to this thread as well).

I think it makes sense. Checking for the latest version from the Ignite dist
should be a pretty straight-foward operation.

  Cos