Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2012/06/26 06:13:19 UTC

[VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0

This is the fourth release for Apache Bigtop (incubating), version 0.4.0

It fixes the following issues:
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12318889&styleName=Html&projectId=12311420

*** Please download, test and vote by Fri 06/29 noon PST

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag)

Source and binary files:
   http://people.apache.org/~rvs/bigtop-0.4.0-incubating-RC0

Maven staging repo:
   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebigtop-279

The tag to be voted upon:
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/tags/release-0.4.0-incubating-RC0

Bigtop's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/dist/KEYS

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
I will be respinning our RC today (creating an RC1) including fixes
for the following issues:
   BIGTOP-651. Hue init script should succeed when stopping a non
running service
   BIGTOP-653. improve top level pom file to be able to produce
   BIGTOP-655. We build hadoop 2.0.0-alpha but mahout points to 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
   BIGTOP-656. flume depends on hadoop 0.23.1. We need to override
hadoop version to 2.0.0-alpha

Now, in order for us to shake the last possible bug out of the
Bigtop 0.4.0 release Doug and I are organizing a hackathon/install
fest on Sun:
    http://www.meetup.com/HandsOnProgrammingEvents/events/71188412/

If you're local to the Bay Area and if you have time to spare please
make sure to come and bring your laptop. We'll try installing, building,
etc. and having as much platform exposure as possible will be super
useful.

Even if you're new to Bigtop -- come anyway. There'll be a lot to learn!

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Is there any sort of script/doc where I can figure how to use bigtop RPMs to start hadoop-2 clusters?

Over here, we install the Bigtop derived RPMs, lay down a custom
configuration we've developed internally, and then 'service start
foo'.

Bigtop itself is working on Puppet based deployment automation:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/bigtop/trunk/bigtop-deploy/puppet/
, and for YARN specifically here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/bigtop/trunk/bigtop-deploy/puppet/modules/hadoop/

Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
On Jun 27, 2012, at 12:20 PM, Bruno Mahé wrote:
> I am willing to help you.
> What sort of help do you need?

Thanks Bruno. Is there any sort of script/doc where I can figure how to use bigtop RPMs to start hadoop-2 clusters?

Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 06/27/2012 11:50 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up Andrew!
>
> I'm happy to fix the wiki if I can get some help... thanks.
>
> Arun
>
> On Jun 27, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Andrew Purtell wrote:
>
>> Hi Arun,
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>> Does it support YARN? I don't see instructions there...
>> bigtop-0.4 is based on Hadoop 2.0.0-alpha and therefore includes all
>> of the YARN components. The wiki page you refer to seems written for
>> bigtop-0.3, which is based on Hadoop 1.0.0 (and moving to 1.0.3 IIRC).
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>>    - Andy
>>
>> Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. - Piet
>> Hein (via Tom White)
> --
> Arun C. Murthy
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/

I am willing to help you.
What sort of help do you need?

Thanks,
Bruno

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun,

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Hey Roman,

On Jun 27, 2012, at 9:01 AM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> instructions:
>    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop

Does it support YARN? I don't see instructions there...

Also, I see instructions for starting JT/TT - what release of Hadoop is this? I thought bigtop-0.4 was hadoop-2...

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy