Posted to users@tiles.apache.org by itay sahar <it...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/21 00:15:31 UTC

Tiles 2 with JSF on tomcat 5.5.25

hi all,

"Tiles 2" is now integrated with various frameworks...
I'm wondering if anyone here succeed to run Tiles 2 with JSF on tomcat
5.5.25.

I'd downloaded a test from maven: (The test application is not working in my
environment... i'll be happy to hear about any success from one of you...
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/tiles/tiles-test/2.0.5/

File name: tiles-test-2.0.5.war

This test application should work on java 5.0.
I will be glad to here some advice,

thanks

Re: Tiles 2 with JSF on tomcat 5.5.25

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/11/21, itay sahar <it...@gmail.com>:

> "Tiles 2" is now integrated with various frameworks...
> I'm wondering if anyone here succeed to run Tiles 2 with JSF on tomcat
> 5.5.25.

The things are a bit complicated...
There is an effort in Shale to build a Tiles view handler, but it depends on
an old version on Tiles 2, and it does not work very well:
http://shale.apache.org/shale-tiles/index.html

In MyFaces Tomahawk there is a working Tiles view handler for Tiles 1:
http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/tiles.html

Another option is to use TilesDispatcherServlet as your front-end for the
view layer, letting Tiles compose JSF pages:
http://tiles.apache.org/tutorial/advanced/utils.html

I'd downloaded a test from maven: (The test application is not working in my
> environment... i'll be happy to hear about any success from one of you...
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/tiles/tiles-test/2.0.5/

What is your problem exactly?

Ciao
Antonio

Re: Tiles 2 with JSF on tomcat 5.5.25

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/11/21, Ray Clough <rc...@kamakuraco.com>:

> Our initial decision not to use Shale was
> based on my perception, whether correct or not, that Shale had less
> development going on than S2.

You are right :-(

Antonio

Re: Tiles 2 with JSF on tomcat 5.5.25

Posted by Ray Clough <rc...@kamakuraco.com>.
We have been using Tiles 2 with JSF, Struts-1, and Struts-2 running on
Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6.0 with no problems.  The application consists of
"new" modules, where S2 performs all the navigation and control
functions, and 'old' modules which are handled by S1.  In the 'new'
portion of the app, almost all the pages are JSF, with some auxiliary
functions handled by S2-dispatched Jsp pages.  We are not using any of
the S2 plugins, which I believe are ill-conceived and buggy.  Both Tiles
and JSF are deployed as they normally would be in a non-Struts
environment, with the exception that we are not declaring any beans or
navigation rules in faces-config.xml.  When a JSF page needs to dispatch
to a Jsp page, the JSF page wants to specify its own action url, so we
use Javascript to change the JSF-specified form action to a S-2 URL, and
we specify all the JSF-page results in S2 as type="redirect", so that
the JSF engine can render the pages, along with Tiles, of course.
Configuring the system for all these components is a little tricky, and
we are using a customized version of the Shale-Tiles view handler, since
the one on the Shale site is so badly out of date.  However, everything
can work smoothly together, once you get it configured properly.   I
wish in retrospect that we had just used Shale for the 'new' modules,
but that ship has sailed.  Our initial decision not to use Shale was
based on my perception, whether correct or not, that Shale had less
development going on than S2.  We introduced JSF into the S2 actions
because the ease of the components saved us a lot of Jsp development.
In retrospect, Shale would probably have been easier, and a better choice.
- Ray Clough
rcclough@kamakuraco.com