Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2009/07/01 01:33:40 UTC

Re: About Pluto

On Jun 23, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Jin Yao wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I am working for a product which is an enterprise level
> application,  We are thinking to develop a portal with our own
> features using open portal portlet container.  I have some question
> on the portlet container
>
> Is there any license issue with using open portal portlet container
> for commercial use

IANAL.... I would say no.  For instance IBM includes pluto in the
commercial product WAS CE (based on apache geronimo which also
includes pluto).  You should consult the apache software license 2.0
and draw your own conclusions.
> Is there any performance issue with open portal portlet container

Performance always depends on what you are trying to do.   With
appropriate benchmarketing you can make any product look good or bad.
> If our portal is JSR-168 compliant,  which one is better: using
> Pluto 2 or Pluto 1.*

Unless you are setting up an extremely simple portal that requires
source code configuration changes to modify and has no user-modifiable
features, you almost certainly want jetspeed rather than pluto.
If you are just starting with your portal I think you will want to use
portlet 2.0 features.  I wish we had had them when starting the
geronimo admin console portlet application.

thanks
david jencks