Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Funk, Lori K." <lf...@petroleumplace.com> on 2001/11/13 21:46:33 UTC

Mime type for xls files

Hi,

My environment:
jetspeed 1.3a2-dev
jdk1.3.1
windows 2000 pro
IE 5.5

I am having trouble with an html link displayed in a web page portlet.
The link is to an Excel file (.xls file extension).  When I click on the
link the raw text of the xls file is displayed rather than Microsoft
Excel opening the document.  I can, however, open the document in a
browser window (choosing the file) and get the correct display.

I have looked in email archives for apache, tomcat, jetspeed, and
turbine and found only one other email of someone else having the
question but no solution.  I have tried adding a mime-mapping
(application/vnd.ms-excel or application/octet-stream) to web.xml, I've
tried adding a mime.types file that is referenced in the
TurbineResources.properties (same mappings as tried in web.xml) but I
still get just the raw text of the file. I am restarting apache each
time I change the configuration.

It is unclear to me whether this is an issue with apache, catalina,
jetspeed, or turbine especially since I have not found any discussion of
this issue on any of the mailing lists.

This should be easy but it hasn't been.  I appreciate any help you can
provide.

Thanks
Lori

Re: Mime type for xls files

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Lori,
I am assuming you are using either the HTML or WebPagePortlet portlet
types to display the Excel file.  In that case, both of the portlet
types require the content be HTML.

In the past I have used the HTML portlet type, although the
WebPagePortlet should work, to include an simple html file that will
display an SVG image, you may be able to do this with you Excel file.  I
can not find the source, but I think it used the <OBJECT> or <EMBED> tag
to define the link the the SVG content, the plug-in, and the height and
width of the "image".

Paul Spencer

Re: Mime type for xls files

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Lori,
I am assuming you are using either the HTML or WebPagePortlet portlet
types to display the Excel file.  In that case, both of the portlet
types require the content be HTML.

In the past I have used the HTML portlet type, although the
WebPagePortlet should work, to include an simple html file that will
display an SVG image, you may be able to do this with you Excel file.  I
can not find the source, but I think it used the <OBJECT> or <EMBED> tag
to define the link the the SVG content, the plugging, and the height and
width of the "image".

Paul Spencer